Two months after fans became understandably nervous when is was announced that writers-executive producers-showrunners Michael Green and Aida Mashaka Croal had exited the series due to “creative differences,” FX‘s Y is welcoming aboard Animal Kingdom‘s Eliza Clark as a writer, executive producer, and new showrunner. The news comes approximately four months after the cable network picked up the pilot for series. While changes are expected under Clark leadership, no word on what those changes would be were readily available.
“A decade ago I devoured the complete Y: The Last Man series cover to cover, imagining how it might take shape on screen. It introduced me to the amazing work of Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra and the complex, fascinating world of Y. I’m thrilled to tell this story and to be working with this immensely talented cast.”
– Eliza Clark
Set to premiere in 2020, Y finds all of the men dead. But one. Based on DC Comics’ acclaimed series Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra, Y traverses a post-apocalyptic world in which a cataclysmic event has decimated every male save for one lone human. The new world order of women will explore gender, race, class and survival.
FX’s Y stars Diane Lane (Man of Steel), Barry Keoghan (The Killing of a Sacred Deer), Imogen Poots (Roadies), Lashana Lynch(Captain Marvel), Juliana Canfield (Succession), Marin Ireland (Sneaky Pete), Timothy Hutton (Ordinary People), and Amber Tamblyn (The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants).
● Lane’s Senator Jennifer Brown is a first-term Junior Senator who’s already made a name for herself in political circles for her willingness to put personal ideals above politics. She is also the mother of Yorick and Hero Brown.
● Keoghan’s Yorick Brown is a young man who uses humor to deflect from his problems – and who may be the lone male survivor of a worldwide plague.
● Poots’ Hero Brown is a tough and confident EMT who nurses a deep emotional trauma that often leads her to cross personal and professional lines.
● Lynch’s Agent 355 is a Secret Service agent who performs the duties of her job with the utmost professionalism – even under the most unexpected set of circumstances.
● Canfield’s Beth is a Brooklyn-based knife maker who grew up on a farm and went to New York to experience the big city. She finds something endearing about the hapless Yorick; and when they’re together, there’s the undeniable spark of two kids in love.
● Ireland’s Nora is the President’s senior assistant and right hand – balancing a family life with a job navigating the corridors of power.
● Hutton serves as the President of the United States of America Callows.
● Tamblyn’s Mariette Callows is the President of the United States’ daughter, groomed for a career in politics and to uphold her father’s conservative values.
Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson of Color Force (American Crime Story, Pose, Crazy Rich Asians) and Matthew Vaughan executive produce, with Melina Matsoukas (Insecure, Master of None) having directed the pilot episode and also serving as an executive producer.