With DC Universe‘s live-action Swamp Thing only a little more than a week away from crawling its way out of the swamps of Louisiana and onto our screens, the streaming service released some new images from the series premiere that highlighted Alec Holland (Andy Bean) and Abby Arcane (Crystal Reed), as well as the overall horror vibe of the 10-episode series. But the one image that understandably got the most attention was the one of Derek Mears‘ Swamp Thing (all of which you can find below) – and so far, reactions have been pretty positive.
Two names in particular that you can add to that list: comic book author and novelist Steve Niles (30 Days of Night, The October Faction) and comic book author and Millarworld co-head Mark Millar (The Ultimates, Jupiter’s Legacy). Niles tweeted out his approval of the character’s look, with Millar responding with his approval as well as reflecting back on his time writing the character (Millar wrote issues #144-#171 of the DC Comics character’s second series) as well as the influence writer Alan Moore‘s run had on him as a teenager:
New Swamp Thing. I like it. What do you think? pic.twitter.com/FdB1qtGqMO
— Steve Niles (@SteveNiles) May 22, 2019
This looks amazing. I wrote Swamp Thing for over 2 years back in my very early 20s and as a teen Alan Moore's was my favourite comic so I'm loving seeing James Wan helming this. https://t.co/PCCh3q3ukZ
— Mark Millar (@mrmarkmillar) May 22, 2019
Here’s a look at the remaining images that were released by DC Universe:
Here’s an overview of DC Universe’s Swamp Thing as well as a look at Bean’s Alec Holland, Mears’ Swamp Thing, Sten’s Liz Tremayne, Reed’s Dr. Abby Arcane, Jennifer Beals’ Sheriff Lucilia Cable, Jeryl Prescott’s Madame Xanadu, Virginia Madsen’s Maria Sunderland, Will Patton’s Avery Sunderland, Kevin Durand’s Woodrue/Floronic Man, Ian Ziering’s Daniel Cassidy/Blue Devil, Henderson Wade’s Matt Cable, and Leonardo Nam’s Harlan Edwards – offering some clues as to what viewers could expect from the series:
Something unnatural is happening in the swamps outside Marais, Louisiana. When a mysterious illness strikes the town, CDC investigator (and former Marais native) Abby Arcane (series star CRYSTAL REED) is sent to investigate. At the hospital, she encounters biologist Alec Holland (series star ANDY BEAN) who believes the bizarre illness might be connected to his scientific work in the swamp for powerful businessman Avery Sunderland (series star WILL PATTON). Abby has a history with Avery and Maria Sunderland (series star VIRGINIA MADSEN), who still blames the young Arcane for the tragic death of her daughter years before. But with a deadly swamp-born virus out there, something is wrong in Marais right now.
Along with Sheriff’s Deputy Matt Cable (series star HENDERSON WADE), Abby once again crosses paths with Alec, but this time they encounter a terrifying, dark force that’s not only killed intruders, but is also taking control of its victims. At Delroy’s Roadhouse, Abby consults her old friend and local reporter Liz Tremayne (series star MARIA STEN) who has a lead deep in the swamp. When Alec goes missing after investigating the unnatural experiments deep in the swamp, something else rises in his place: Swamp Thing (series star DEREK MEARS), a mysterious creature born of the depths of the swamp’s mystical and terrifying secrets. With nature wildly out of balance and coming for the people of Marais, in the end, it may take some Thing from the swamp to save it.
● Emerging from the swamp with a monstrous physique and strange new powers over plant life, the man who was once Alec Holland (Bean) struggles to hold onto his humanity. Prior to his life as the elemental hero, Holland was a biologist who got caught in the crosshairs of a small town nightmare, when he discovered a bizarre local illness connected to his work in the swamp.
● When dark forces converge on the town of Marais, Swamp Thing (Mears) must embrace what he has become in order to defend the town as well as the natural world at large.
● Smart and caring, CDC Dr. Abby Arcane’s (Reed) strong sense of empathy puts her at the center of a horrific life-threatening epidemic in her hometown, where she faces emotional demons from her past. A chance meeting with scientist Alec Holland takes her into a world of horror and the supernatural, and of the elemental creature known as Swamp Thing.
● Liz Tremayne (Sten) is a close childhood friend of Abby Arcane’s, who splits her time between reporting for the local paper and bartending at her aging father’s roadhouse bar. Her no-nonsense attitude belies a deep compassion for her friends and family as she sets out in her uncompromising quest to expose the secrets that threaten her beloved hometown.
● Sheriff Lucilia Cable (Beals) is tough as nails, pragmatic, and fiercely devoted to her son, Matt, her sworn duty to serve and protect the town of Marais. As the community she has dedicated her life to defending finds itself beset by strange forces, Lucilia must double down in her efforts to safeguard everyone she holds dear.
● Madame Xanadu (Prescott) is a centuries-old immortal who advises and aligns with crusaders against evil but is reluctant to join the fray directly.
● Maria Sunderland (Madsen) traded in her privileged upbringing for the swamps of Marais when she married local business magnate Avery Sunderland, but Avery’s life-time obsession with the swamp has driven a wedge between him and Maria. Her poised existence is shaken further when the return of Abby Arcane reawakens a deep grief over the loss of Maria’s daughter, Shawna, drawing her into the dark supernatural mysteries emerging from the swamp.
● Prominant businessman Avery Sunderland (Patton) serves as the de facto patriarch of his Louisiana hometown, always giving back to the community. His benevolent veneer, however, masks a ruthless determination to harness the power of the swamp for profit.
● Jason Woodrue/Floronic Man (Durand) is a biogeneticist without equal – and he knows it. Brought in to study the unique properties of a small-town Louisiana swamp, Woodrue becomes fixated on unlocking the potential contained within — leading to tragic and monstrous consequences.
● Stuntman turned movie star Daniel Cassidy/Blue Devil (Ziering) became semi-famous after playing the demonic Blue Devil. But now, eight years later, Cassidy finds himself living out his days in frustration, pining for his former fame while on a collision course with destiny.
● Wade’s Matt Cable is a Louisiana lawman who finds himself in dire straits when supernatural evil threatens the town he’s sworn to protect. The son of Sheriff Lucilla Cable has a history with Abby: she was his childhood crush.
● Harlan Edwards (Nam) is a gay CDC specialist and Dr. Abby Arcane’s second-in-command.
Swamp Thing premieres on the DC Universe streaming service beginning Friday, May 31, 2019.