SEGA announced today that Judgment (previously known as Project Judge) will be headed to the west in the summer of 2019. The game will be presented with Japanese voices, just like the Yakuza series, but include an English dub. The English cast will include Greg Chun, Crispin Freeman, Cherami Leigh, Brian McNamara, Matt Yang King, Matthew Mercer, and Fred Tatasciore. While the company didn’t get into the storyline too much, they did give a detailed explanation on the audio format. Enjoy the trailer!
Judgment marks the first time in over 12 years that a game set in the Yakuza series universe has received an English dub for its Western release, the last one being the original Yakuza for the PlayStation 2 in 2006. As a result, some extra work was put in to make Judgment’s English dub a little more complex than most. We wanted to make sure that we preserve the original Japanese script of Judgment as faithfully as possible. Here’s a breakdown of Judgment’s dub / subtitle features:
- Dual Audio: Players can switch between the Japanese and English VO tracks at any point during the game. Experience Judgment using whichever language you prefer!
- Dual Subtitles: Subtitles change based on which audio track is selected – Japanese or English. Japanese voice subtitles are presented in a way that represents the traditional Yakuza experience while English voice subtitles match the English script.
- Localization Pedigree: Judgment’s localization has been handled in-house by SEGA of America’s talented Yakuza series localization team.
- From the Makers of the Acclaimed Yakuza Series: Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios presents Judgment, the dramatic tale of a disgraced lawyer seeking redemption in a world rife with corruption and despair.
- Investigate the Seedy Red Light District of Kamurocho: Step into the mind of private detective Takayuki Yagami and utilize innovative investigation systems to uncover the secrets that lie deep within Kamurocho’s corrupt underbelly.
- Experience Visceral Combat with Two Unique Combat Styles: Take down groups of thugs with sweeping blows in Crane Style, then switch to Tiger to overwhelm a single foe with a series of powerful strikes. Practice mixing-and-matching styles in combat in conjunction with a wide variety of skills, weapons, and powerful (and hilarious) EX Actions to unlock a whole new dimension in combat.