Last month’s X-Men Black series of connected one-shots featured one issue dedicated to the Juggernaut, the unstoppable X-villain whose powers are bestowed on him as the avatar of Cyttorak, through Cyttorak’s trademarked Crimson Gem. The history of the gem, like much in Marvel Comics, is complicated. There’s been at least one similar gem, a “prototype” gem, which existed inside the actual Crimson Gem, way back in X-Men (the original series) #32 and #33. Another supplementary gem (or maybe the same one) appeared decades later in 1992’s Doctor Strange: Sorcerer Supreme # 44, inside the Crimson Cosmos, though it eventually wound up back there. It’s an incredibly complex history for one of Marvel’s lesser known stones, and you can read a full account on the Marvel Wiki.
In any case, at the end of X-Men Black: Juggernaut, Juggie had bested his master, Cyttorak, in a psychic battle and, newly refreshed with power, headed out in search of the gems empowering avatars of other members of Cyttorak’s club, the Oxtessence, so that he could gain their powers too. But over in Doctor Strange, another gem of Cyttorak has popped up in the possession of Casey, the soulless former student of Doctor Strange whose been masquerading as him. In the previous issue, Baron Mordo revealed himself to be behind… well, some of this, but according to a preview of next week’s Doctor Strange #8, he’s not even the big bad.
But he does reveal that Casey is unstoppable, due to… you guessed it…
Are there now four Crimson Gems of Cytorrak to keep track of?
Maybe this will be explained when Doctor Strange #8 hits stores next Wednesday, but don’t hold your breath.
Doctor Strange #8
(W) Mark Waid (A) Javier Pina (CA) Nick Bradshaw
• Stephen Strange is back on Earth, and he knows how to build his own arsenal.
• He’ll need it! His troubles continued growing while he was gone, and while he’s using magic to solve them…
• He’ll need it to fight… himself? It’s Doctor Strange vs. Doctor Strange!
In Shops: Nov 21, 2018
- Millennials and Their Job Ghosting in Next Week’s Black Panther vs. Deadpool #3 - December 15, 2018
- Killing Spider-Man in Next Week’s Dead Man Logan #2… Hail Neo-Hydra! - December 15, 2018
- The Debut of Thorshach in Next Week’s Thor #8 - December 14, 2018
- IDW Plans Weekly Ghostbusters Event for April with 4 Teams - December 14, 2018
- DC Pulls Heroes in Crisis Poison Ivy Death Cover at Tom King’s Request - December 14, 2018