With the holidays approaching. many of us assumed we might see an announcement for an N64 Classic Edition from Nintendo as we did the NES and SNES. Sadly, that has not come to pass, and even more sadly, we got word it’s not in the works at all. Kotaku chatted with NOA’s president Reggie Fils-Aime about a few different topics as we head into what will be one of Nintendo’s biggest quarters and straight-up asked about why we haven’t seen the next Nintendo console in the line made into a mini emulator yet. The news we got was less than stellar.
“We were clear when we did the first two Classic series that, for us, these were limited time opportunities that were a way for us as a business to bridge from the conclusion of Wii U as a hardware system to the launch of Nintendo Switch,” he said. “That was the very strategic reason we launched the NES Classic system.” The Wii U had been fading fast by early 2016 and the Switch didn’t launch until early 2017.
“So while consumers may have been anticipating something, we view these as limited time opportunities. We’ve also now been very clear that as the consumer looks forward to engaging with our classic content that is going to happen more and more with the subscription service.
“Would you rule out an N64 Classic coming?” I asked.
“I would not ever rule something out,” he said, “but what I can tell you is certainly that’s not in our planning horizon.”
So while we may see one down the road, it appears there are no plans right now to do an N64 Classic Edition, or by the sound of this, a Game Cube Classic Edition. Hopefully, this changes by next year, because our itchy trigger fingers would love another crack at Goldeneye 64 on a more modern level.
- Someone Turned Nintendo's NES Into a Playable Guitar
- Nintendo Wins $12 Million Lawsuit Against Arizona Couple Over ROMs
- From The Rumor Mill: Did Someone Leak the N64 Classic Design?
- Nintendo Files a Trademark for N64 Fueling the Retro Console Rumors
- Nintendo's Latest Trademark Points to a Mini N64 Release
- A Hyperkin Employee Leaked a Portable N64 Prototype
- Nintendo Discontinues the NES and SNES Classic Editions - December 14, 2018
- Twitch to Air Holiday Spectacular Show to Look Back on 2018 - December 14, 2018
- Sixteen Years of Red vs. Blue: An Interview With Gus Sorola - December 14, 2018
- Atari Flashback Classics Added to the Nintendo Switch - December 14, 2018
- Daybreak Games Reveals PlanetSide Arena’s Release Date - December 14, 2018