Today, Blizzard has finally addressed a racially insensitive event that took place on one of their official Overwatch streams this week. Kim “Binbon” Jin Young was one of several presenters who took part in a bit of cosplay on the stream, only his choice wasn’t the best as he dressed up in blackface to look like the character Doomfist. Social media went livid, to say the least, and today a rep from the company talked with Dot Esports about the issue.
“What happened on the official Korean stream was inappropriate and clearly not in keeping with the global spirit of Overwatch,” a Blizzard representative told Dot Esports. “We apologize for the insensitivity, and we are taking measures to ensure that everyone involved in official broadcasts in the region is better aware of the offensive nature of blackface makeup around the world.”
We’re a little curious just exactly how he managed to get past several producers and other people in the company before making it on stream. Whether or not Binbon will continue to represent Overwatch as a presenter is another story that they haven’t addressed yet.
- Blizzard Reveals the Latest Hero Changes and More in Latest Patch
- The Next Overwatch Update Will Require a Full Reinstall
- Overwatch's Lúcio Gets a Breakfast Cereal and a New Album
- Blizzard Gives a Full Rundown of Ashe in Latest Overwatch Dev Update
- Overwatch Currently Has Six Characters in the Works
- Not So Shocking: South Korea Wins Third Overwatch World Cup
- Overwatch Introduces a New Hero Called Ashe in Latest Animated Short