This seems to be the weekend of complaints, anger, and accusations against gaming as Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is getting flack as well. A thread has been running on Reset Era this week calling attention to a specific attack from the character Mr. Game & Watch. The move is a reference to one of their old-school handheld titles called Fire Attack from 1982, in which you are a cowboy defending a fort from Native Americans trying to set it on fire. Keen-eyed fans have found the move inside promotional material for SSBU, and have now questioned why Nintendo would throw in imagery that would now be considered racially insensitive.
Please check and spread the below thread from ResetEra. Mr. Game & Watch's new forward smash in Smash Ultimate is a direct reference to a G&W game featuring racist depictions of Native Americans.
— ✨ gale (@rr_gale) November 3, 2018
Especially since Nintendo has removed this kind of imagery from the game once before, as someone was quick to post on Twitter that they removed the headdresses altogether and changed the characters into bandits.
hey so how about instead of being mad at people upset about two frames, how about two frames that'll make everyone happy?
LEFT: Original, with feathers (Native Americans)
RIGHT: GBA remake with removal of feathers (Bandits) pic.twitter.com/jJFrUO1t2x
— Owen 🎄☃️ (@PieMehker) November 4, 2018
We’ll see if Nintendo responds to the controversy that’s being stirred up, but so far, the majority of voices would like it removed while there’s a small set of people who don’t seem to care since its a reference to the game’s history.
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Cracks Nintendo's All Time Pre-Order Record
- Nintendo Brings the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Poster to Life
- Someone Made a Super Smash Bros: Infinity War Mashup
- Nintendo Reveals The Last Pieces of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Nintendo Announces Last Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct Stream
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Fans Freak Out Over New Found Item
- From The Rumor Mill: 7 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Characters Leaked