This is the Top Ten Bleeding Cool Bestseller List, as compiled by a number of comic stores from their sales on Wednesday and Thursday. It measures what are known as the “Wednesday Warriors”, those who can’t wait till the weekend to get this week’s comics. We salute you, and the keenness you bring to your passion.
And there seems some division amongst the top…
Top ten bestsellers of the week:
- Detective Comics #991
- Action Comics #1,004
- Return of Wolverine #2
- Amazing Spider-Man #8
- Wonder Woman #57
- Justice League Odyssey #2
- Spider-Girls #1
- Flash #57
- X-Men Red #9
- Titans #28
Thanks to the following retailers,
- Rodman Comics, Ankeny, Iowa.
- Ssalefish Comics, Winston-Salem & Greensboro, North Carolina.
- Big Planet Comics, 4 stores in the Washington DC area.
- Comix Experience Outpost, San Francisco, California.
- Fat Jack’s Comicrypt, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Dr. No’s Comics & Games Superstore of Marietta, Georgia
And this is what they had to say,
Slow week. Nothing exciting to report.
This was a very strong week. Lots of great selling books. Return of Wolverine #2 was our best selling book of the week. But JL Odyssey, Action, Wonder Woman, and Detective all put up impressive numbers. In fact all of our top 20 books had very strong sales this week. Marvel and DC dominated our top 20 with just about an even split. Foil covers and crossovers do seem to be adding to sales a bit. I like it. Hopefully sales stay up because of the great stories inside.
This week was kind of uneventful despite being full of events, with Wonder Woman creeping really close to the top spot which surprised me. Detective was #1 as any Batman book usually is. What I have noticed is that with each successive week the What If books have sold less and less. This week’s seemed to be met with total indifference. Honorable mention to Black Panther vs Deadpool which could’ve made the list if people hadn’t looked at the art and put it back. Several customers commented on the ugly art and declined it.
A bit of a light week, with the only real “tentpole” ongoing hitting the shelves being AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. Unsurprisingly Spidey sits at the top of the list, hanging out with DETECTIVE COMICS, ACTION COMICS, WONDER WOMAN and THE RETURN OF WOLVERINE.
The bottom half of the list contains a couple of Marvel’s stronger ongoing titles: X-MEN RED and PUNISHER. Along with the almost-certainly-focus-grouped-into-existence BLACK PANTHER VS DEADPOOL. Bringing up the very rear, we’ve got some of the more fun and esoteric offerings from both publishers with INFINITY WARS ARACHKNIGHT and TERRIFICS.
This week’s Top Ten split is 6 DC, four Marvel–but the spread between first place and tenth place is only eight copies, so we had a lot of mid-list books clustered at more or less the same sales plateau. There’s only another four copy spread between the tenth place book and the twentieth place book. This occurs when publishers offer a week with no strong “tentpole” titles to bring in buyers; the overall customer count is lower, with no real sales standouts.
- Walking Dead #1 9.6 $1,500 Our Greensboro store had a signed copy come in this week, lasted all of maybe 2 days.
- Venom Lethal Protector Newstand #1 NM $50
- Venom Lethal Protector Direct Edition #1 NM $25
- New York Bar Sues Image Comics and Forbidden Planet For $2 Million Over Dead Rabbit Trademark - November 20, 2018
- How is Your Walmart Displaying Those 100-Page Exclusive DC Comics? - November 20, 2018
- Reputation Beats Assault Rifle in Batman #59 Preview - November 20, 2018
- So What’s Coming From Mark Millar And Millarworld In 2019 With Netflix? - November 20, 2018
- Full Boom Studios Catalog for February 2019 – With Hotel Dare for April - November 20, 2018