Epic Games has said in a post that Fortnite‘s Save the World mode is not going to be making the jump to free-to-play this year, with it being pushed back to an undefined time.
Not so long ago, say a year and a half ago, Fortnite was a kinda obscure building game from Epic Games. It had been kicking around behind closed doors for years and while it had its fans, people weren’t talking about it too much past its initial early access launch. Of course, then Epic Games decided to capitalise on the monstrous success of PUBG‘s popular new battle royale mode by retrofitting it into their game… and well, the rest is history. The Save the World mode in the game is still there and growing, but as of right now, it’s slunk into the background of its free-to-play sibling.
The mode was meant to be going free-to-play this year to reinvigorate the audience, but it seems right now, that isn’t going to happen. In the latest, State of Development update by Epic games, they say the mode still needs work and will miss its 2018 date. It says:
We decided to move the free-to-play launch of Save the World out of this year. We’re working on a broad set of features, reworks, and backend system scaling we believe are needed to go free-to-play. Save the World has grown consistently since our launch in July 2017 and Fortnite overall has experienced unprecedented growth. Scaling up for the legions of player heroes who will be joining the fight is key to providing an excellent experience. This applies to all of our players, old and new, so we’re taking the time to get this right.
It’s good to hear that work on Save the World is still ongoing and Epic still has big plans for it. While it’s undeniable that Fortnite has morphed into something completely different to what it once was, it’s great that Epic are still committed to the original vision somewhat. Here’s hoping, whenever it does finally go free-to-play, it can find an audience that rivals even the battle royale mode.
- Fortnite Takes a Slow Dive on Twitch Streams and Viewership
- Nerf Announces a New Partnership to Make Fortnite Nerf Guns
- Fornitemares Officially Kicks Off in Two Fortnite Modes Today
- Jade Raymond, Founder of EA Motive, Has Left the Company
- THQ Nordic has 35 Unannounced Projects After Acquiring Two New Studios - November 14, 2018
- Overwatch League Team Chengdu Hunters Revealed - November 13, 2018
- Ark: Survival Evolved Hit All Time Peak Players On Steam This Weekend - November 13, 2018
- Despite Activision’s Comments, Destiny 2 Director Says Bungie Aren’t Disappointed With Forsaken - November 12, 2018
- Destiny 2 is Under-Performing Says Activision - November 9, 2018