While yes, Jon Favreau is hard at work right now making a live-action Star Wars series for Disney’s new streaming service, he’s ALSO working on his adaptation of The Lion King for the House of Mouse.
Following the success of Favreau’s live-action Jungle Book, next up on the remake docket just happens to be Disney’s take on Hamlet [FIGHT ME], The Lion King.
Just yesterday, the director shared an image from what looks like a voice recording session featuring some of the star players in the film:
View this post on Instagram
We see Seth Rogen who is voicing warthog Pumbaa, Donald Glover who is our king Simba, Favreau there in the middle who we’re assuming will be voicing SOMEONE in the film, and Billy Eichner who will be voicing Timon the meerkat.
Aside from this small selection of voice talent, the cast is pretty great-
Beyonce will be voicing Nala, Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar, James Earl Jones as Mufasa, John Kani as Rafiki, John Oliver as Zazu, JD McCrary as young Simba, Alfre Woodard as Sarabi, Florence Kasumba as Shenzi the lead hyena, Eric Andre as Azizi, and Keegan-Michael Key as Kamari (an unhinged hysterical hyena who laughs a lot).
Lion King has an expected release date of July 19th, 2019.
- Margot Robbie Teases [Quinzel] Doctored ‘Birds of Prey’ Script - November 20, 2018
- One of Eric Roth’s ‘Dune’ Scripts for Legendary was 200 Pages - November 20, 2018
- Volante Design’s Star Trek Moto Jackets ARE Happening! - November 20, 2018
- Finally: Here’s Why No Batman in Arrowverse’s “Elseworlds” Crossover - November 20, 2018
- ‘Captain Marvel’ Reshoots Are Apparently Happening Right Now - November 20, 2018