Sony has announced that players will be able to change their PlayStation Network name very soon.
Some thought this day would never come. The ask for PlayStation Network name changes has followed Sony’s consoles since the PlayStation 3 era. That’s a long time for players to be attached to their online monikers, many going from early teen-hood to full-blown adults now. What you might have found funny back then… well, might not be so much now.
Well, it seems the monumental wait might finally be over. What started to seem like an impossible task has now been confirmed as Sony has said it is moving into the public testing phase of name changes. The functionality is currently being rolled out on the PlayStation Preview Program for those that are part of it. During that, players will be able to have one name change for free, and then after, will be able to change their name for $9.99. (PlayStation Plus users will be able to change it for $4.99.) If you aren’t part of the program, the functionality is meant to be rolled out for everyone in early 2019.
There is one big caveat though and that is that this could cause issues for some games. In the blog post, Sony explain:
This feature is compatible with PS4 games originally published after April 1, 2018, and a large majority of the most-played PS4 games that were released before this date. However, please note not all games and applications for PS4, PS3 and PS Vita systems are guaranteed to support the online ID change, and users may occasionally encounter issues or errors in certain games.
If this is a dealbreaker, you will be able to revert your name back at any time for free. PlayStation added that they will post a list of older compatible games before the feature goes live for everyone.
As reported a few days ago, this isn’t entirely unexpected, but it’s awesome to get confirmation. This has been an ask for users for a very long time, so it’s great to see it finally coming to pass.
- PlayStation Plus Will Stop Making PS3 and Vita Games for Free in March
- Sony Reveals Their December 2018 Free Games on PlayStation Plus
- PlayStation 4 Owners Reporting a Brick-Causing Message This Weekend
- Anthem Shows Off the Legion of Dawn in New Trailer - December 14, 2018
- DayZ is Now Out of Early Access and You Can Play it For Free This Weekend - December 14, 2018
- Marvel’s Spider-Man’s Final DLC Gets Release Date – Will Have Into the Spider Verse Suit - December 13, 2018
- Tony Hawk has a New Game for Mobile - December 13, 2018
- Kingdom Hearts Gets Opening Cinematic With New Skrillex Collaboration - December 10, 2018