Screenwriter Adele Lim is going from Crazy, Rich, Asians to the house of mouse. She’s signed up to work on an untitled fantasy-adventure animated film for Disney and partnering with one of the producers of Moana, Osnat Shurer.
Lim, served as an executive producer and writer for the Lethal Weapon television show, Reign, and Private Practice. She’s also slated to work on the sequel to Crazy, Rich, Asians. Shurer has produced on a variety of Pixar animated shorts (including Boundin’, One Man Band, and Lifted). She switched over to Disney Animation proper to produce Moana.
Not much is known about the project but it will feature “Asian elements” and a female protagonist. Disney put great care into the cultural research they did for Moana so with Shurer on board one can at least hope she and Lim will guide the material appropriately.
Paul Briggs and Dean Wellins are attached to direct. They were story artists on Frozen and Zootopia respectively. While the creative team aside from Lim consists of non-Asians, with the success of films like Moana, Coco, and Crazy, Rich, Asians hopefully they’ll be smart about casting actors of appropriate heritage. (I suppose it was too much to ask for for female and/or Asian/Asian-American directors too…)
The untitled Lim film is slated for an eventual theatrical release.
- Buildings, Blockbusters, and Brownies with 'Skyscraper' Star Chin Han
- Crazy Rich Asians Surpasses $110M at the Domestic Box Office
- Crazy Rich Asians Review: One of the Best Romantic Comedies in Years
- Calling All Hot Male Asian Actors: Tyra Banks Wants You for 'Life Size 2'
- Crazy Rich Asians Trailer Debuts
- Celebrating ‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’ Season 4 with Rachel Bloom and Gabrielle Ruiz - October 13, 2018
- Getting Wilde with Rupert Everett and ‘The Happy Prince’ - October 13, 2018
- Netflix Nabs Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson’s ‘John Henry & The Statesmen’ - October 9, 2018
- Jimmy O. Yang is Heading from ‘Silicon Valley’ to Blumhouse’s ‘Fantasy Island’ - October 9, 2018
- ‘Crazy, Rich, Asians’ Writer Adele Lim is Penning an Asian Animated Disney Film - October 9, 2018