It’s been a big week for Boom! Studios – announcing a new series of graphic novels with R.L. Stine, announcing their Eisner Award ready Buffy The Vampire Slayer creative team for their reimagining of the franchise and their always-packed booth full of exclusives. But they saved perhaps their biggest surprise for the last day of NYCC – debuting one of the rarest Power Rangers comic books ever.
And they gave it to fans for free.
Let’s step back. We were the first one in March to warn you that something big was going down in the Power Rangers panel, where Boom! Studios gave away a variant of their big event kick off. For free. Before the on-sale date. To a filled room of 1000 fans. And it’s still selling pretty well, with copies listed for $150/each at the recent PowerMorphicon event in LA.
Well, the rooms aren’t as big at NYCC for most comic book panels, so the capacity crowd for Power Rangers: Beyond The Grid was closer to 400 people. And they all got an oversized – think Batman: Damned – comic featuring the first chapter of the upcoming Saban’s Power Rangers: Soul of The Dragon OGN.
With only 400 copies made and no chance copies will be made available again, ever, to fans anywhere (trust me, I asked Boom! Studios PR folks this question every way possible), this is the lowest print run ever for a single Power Rangers comic.
And we know how rare Power Rangers variant covers like this increase in value.
So…anyone have an extra they’d like to donate to the “Rich Johnston has to pay for his kids’ universities fund?”
- Michael Davis, Keynote Speaker at Afro ComicCon on the War for Static Shock - October 19, 2018
- Comixology Bestseller List, 19th October 2018 – The Crossover-Then-New-Writer Paradigm - October 19, 2018
- Spider-Man, Who?? The Psychology of Marvel Comics Vs. the Movies - October 19, 2018
- Comic Store In Your Future – Lenticular, Foil and Black Bags - October 19, 2018
- Erik Burnham’s Writer’s Commentary on Red Sonja #22 - October 19, 2018