Yeah, yeah, so Tony Stark and Janet Van Dyne are kinda-dating in Tony Stark: Iron Man #4. The Iron Man And The Wasp should naturally be the spinoff title, or what this comic is called in 2019.
But all through the run, the comic has been playing with the idea of sentience and rights for artificial intelligences. Which culminates a little in this issue as the Stark Institute has to deal with an attacking force of robotic creatures.
In decades past, especially in Marvel Animation, slicing up, blowing up, disposing of robots was fine. It was the only way Wolverine could use his claws a lot of the time. And time after time, the characters gave the other permission to go nuclear as the opponents weren’t human but robots. So it was fine.
But as of Jocasta in Tiny Stark: Iron Man, it is no longer fine. And with Tony believing himself to be nothing more than an artificial intelligence uploaded into this meat body, he may have a digital bone in this fight.
Will other Marvel comics titles pick upon this new line in civil rights allegory? Or will they keep slicing and dicing the mechs as always?
It does remind me of a little bit of Rick & Morty…
TONY STARK IRON MAN #4
(W) Dan Slott (A) Valerio Schiti (CA) Alexander Lozano
• You wanted to know who the book’s love interest is going to be? Here you go. The one, the only…Janet Van Dyne! A love not seen since AVENGERS #224 is about to be rekindled.
• And what’s going on with Sunset Bain’s new dating app? Some of these online matches are just a little too good to be true…
Rated T+In Shops: Oct 03, 2018
- Two Meta-Looks at Comics From Marvel and DC This Week - October 19, 2018
- Archie Comics Cancels Their Marvel Digest Volumes - October 19, 2018
- Marvel Comics Challenge Another Punisher Trademark Application by Militia Group - October 19, 2018
- So Why Are There No Comic Book Unions Then? - October 19, 2018
- Jim Steranko, Ron Frenz, George Perez, Barry Kitson and Alan Davis on The Liberty Brigade - October 19, 2018