Despite Sony seemingly relaxing its stance on cross-platform play, Bethesda has said that it has no plans to make Fallout 76 compatible with the functionality as of yet.
Yesterday could really be a bit of a landmark day for video games. Depending on what the future holds, Sony agreeing to allow cross-platform play between all platforms for Fortnite could have long repercussions that change gaming forever. While no other games have been announced to support the functionality yet, it’s hard to see a future where this isn’t an opening of the floodgates.
At least for one big upcoming online game though, don’t hold your breath on seeing cross-play. Bethesda’s Pete Hines has taken to Twitter to confirm that cross-play isn’t planned for Fallout 76 in any capacity right now. While he doesn’t completely shut the door on the possibility, it’s clear that players shouldn’t really hope to be playing with their friends on other platforms just yet. After congratulating Sony on the move, he went on to say:
Folks, chill. I work with a lot of devs and games for whom this is important going forward.
Fallout 76 does not support crossplay, for a number of reasons. I have no idea if it ever will. But I assure you it is not on our radar right now as we focus on B.E.T.A. and Launch.
— Pete Hines (@DCDeacon) September 26, 2018
While this probably isn’t what people want to hear, I don’t think you can be too hard on developers right now about not bringing the capability to play cross-console. Firstly, this still only applies to Fortnite so there is no guarantee Sony and other publishers want to accept this on other games just yet. Secondly, that is a lot of work that developers finishing up big complicated games, like Fallout 76, didn’t allot resources for. Still, perhaps one day the game will get it. Just don’t expect it anytime soon.
- The Fallout 76 Beta is Now Officially Online for Download
- Bethesda Explains Why Fallout 76 Won't Be Coming to Steam
- Bethesda Softworks Reveal the Full Map for Fallout 76
- Epic Games Removes the Fortnite Shadow Stones for a Second Time
- A Number of PS3 Titles Are Losing Their Servers in October
- Sony Says There Will Be No PlayStation Experience for 2018
- Conan Exiles and Halo Wars 2 are Free to Play This Weekend on Xbox Live - October 19, 2018
- Hitman is Getting a Halloween Event Today - October 19, 2018
- Developer Says The Division 2 Can’t Be Openly Political - October 18, 2018
- PUBG Looks to be Bringing Halloween Content to the Game - October 17, 2018
- New SoulCalibur 6 Video Teaches You The Basics - October 16, 2018