We’re still in the midst of Marvel’s current mutant-murdering X-Men event, Extermination. And the relaunch of Uncanny X-Men with a 10-part weekly “X-Men Disassembled” story doesn’t start until November. But already, Marvel is apparently looking forward to the next big X-Over, coming your way in 2019, courtesy of superstar artist Rob freakin’ Liefeld.
Liefeld revealed the details at Wizard World Austin, as reported by MovieWeb:
Here’s the deal. Since the X-Men movies came out and Disney didn’t have them, I don’t know if you’ve ever paid attention, but Marvel kind of turned the volume down on the X-Men for almost 20 years. Now that they have them more, what was told to me was, ‘Oh yeah. Our budgets on the X-Men books are back up to what they used to be because now we own them all.’
I have a new project, 2019, it’s a huge X-Men crossover…It’s awesome…Marvel called me up last Thanksgiving and said, ‘We want you to do a big story.’ I said well, let’s see if they’ll go for this, and I tried to do something no one has done before. So I gave them this pretty aggressive proposal for an event and I can’t say what it is, I can’t say what it involves, got a lot of new stuff.
Well, we’re glad Marvel is able to afford Rob Liefeld on the X-Books again, and we’re looking forward to learn what this is all about. Is it too early to hope for something at New York Comic Con?
- Jean Grey Gets Weird With Nightcrawler in X-Men Red #9 Preview - October 19, 2018
- Would Thor Make a Good Loki? A Preview of What If? Thor #1 - October 19, 2018
- Improbable Previews: An HR Violation for the Mutant Liberation Front in Uncanny X-Men #1 - October 19, 2018
- Does Logan Make a Promise He Can’t Keep in Return of Wolverine #2? (Preview) - October 19, 2018
- Skottie Young Plays the High-Stakes Game of Footsie with Uncanny X-Men #1 Variant - October 19, 2018