Public backlash to horrible business choices can make a company do funny things, as we’re learning tonight from Telltale Games. The company has apparently pulled their last title, The Walking Dead: The Final Season from digital sales shelves. As we speak, you currently cannot purchase the game from any online outlet. Xbox Live has removed the purchase option, the PlayStation Store has completely removed the game from existence, Steam has made it so the only thing you can download is the demo, and GOG has paused downloading and posted a note that reads “Telltale has requested a temporary pause of sales of The Walking Dead – Final Season. For all up to date Telltale news, please refer to their official Twitter page.” Which, of course, there is no notice posted as to why this was done.
If you believe the rumor mill this evening on social media, the move was supposedly done because the company was receiving so much backlash from announcing they were talking to partnered companies to finish the game, as opposed to allowing their employees to finish the game before laying everyone off. Whether or not that’s true is up to you to decide, but what can be seen on Steam is that the ratings for the game went down the tube and have been mostly negative since September 21st.
If we had to place money on the situation, we’re guessing the game will not return to being sold unless what’s left of Telltale finishes all the chapters and releases it as a complete game. But even that’s a stretch at this point.
- GOG.com Posts Another Poorly Chosen Tweet, Then Retracts
- Skybound Discusses Their Intentions with Telltale's Walking Dead
- A Number of PS3 Titles Are Losing Their Servers in October
- Sony Says There Will Be No PlayStation Experience for 2018
- Telltale Games Hit With a Class-Action Lawsuit Over Labor Laws
- Telltale Games’ Stranger Things Game Was Further Along Than Assumed
- Netflix Will Still Push Forward With a Stranger Things Video Game
- Former Telltale Games Employee Vents About Unpaid Overtime
- Telltale Games: Major Layoffs and Possible Studio Shut Down
- Cygames Announces Granblue Fantasy Versus for PS4 in 2019 - December 15, 2018
- Review: Marseille’s mCable HDMI Cords for Cinema and Gaming - December 15, 2018
- Review: Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse - December 15, 2018
- Ghost Stories For The Ages: We Review Betrayal Legacy - December 15, 2018
- Intrepid Studios Shows a Livestream Update for Ashes of Creation - December 15, 2018