Production for Margot Robbie’s Birds of Prey is set to start production in January but there hasn’t been a lot in the way of in the way of casting rumors. It sounds like the shortlist has been released and there are some really interesting names on the list. According to Deadline we have possible names for Huntress, Rene Montoya, and Black Canary.
Being considered for the role of Huntress is The Mummy actress Sofia Boutella, Fargo and Cloverfield Lane actress Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Wolf of Wall Street and How I Met Your Mother‘s Cristin Milioti, and Margaret Qualley, the latter starring in Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and starred in HBO’s The Leftovers.
That’s a pretty long list for Huntress and a great variety of actresses. The next character, Rene Montoya, has a few more smaller names for the role of the lesbian police detective.
For Rene Montoya, One Day at a Time‘s Justina Machado is in the mix, along with Vida‘s Roberta Colindrez.
Finally, the casting for Black Canary is probably the most interesting. The character is usually drawn as a blonde white woman but both of the actresses on the list are women of color.
In consideration for Black Canary, known for her shrieking cry, are Belle‘s Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Underground actress Jurnee Smollett-Bell.
It’s not that surprising to see such a wide diversity across the possible cast list because Robbie has said that she wants a very diverse cast for this movie. Birds of Prey will be directed by Cathy Yan and currently has no release date. However, with an early 2019 production start date and rumored to be a smaller production in general we could see this movie as early as late 2019 to early 2020.
- First Look at Eiza Gonzalez in Hobbs and Shaw - December 18, 2018
- Todd Phillips Confirms That the Joker Movie Has Wrapped Production - December 18, 2018
- Sherlock Holmes Adaptation ‘Elementary’ to End After 7 Seasons - December 17, 2018
- Utah Film Critics Association Votes Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse the Best Picture of 2018 - December 17, 2018
- [SPOILERS] Phil Lord and Chris Miller Talk That Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Post-Credits Scene - December 17, 2018