Welcome back to Bleeding Cool‘s American Horror Story: Apocalypse weekly review, as we take a look at the season’s second episode of Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk‘s Murder House/Coven crossover, ‘The Morning After.’
If you’re Michael Langdon (Cody Fern), things aren’t looking too shabby from an antichrist’s perspective: the world’s gone to nuclear hell, chaos reigns, and the last outposts of humanity (at least on the west coast?) appear to be dropping like flies. You’ve got control of Outpost 3, facility leader Wilhemina Venable (Sarah Paulson) is none-the-wiser…and Miriam Mead (Kathy Bates)? She’s showing some seriouslong-term potential in your “expansion” plans. Things are looking pretty good, right?
Enter Supreme Cordelia Goode (Paulson) and the witches of Coven…but was it really the return we were hoping for?
Spoiler Warnings: I’ll be covering some themes and takeaways involving major and minor plot points from the episode, so just keep that in mind. Definitely not looking for pitchforks and torches outside my apartment.
American Horror Story: Apocalypse s08e02 ‘The Morning After’: Written by James Wong and Directed by Jennifer Lynch
Here’s a look at the series’ official trailer as well as the titles, writers and directors for the the season’s next three episodes:
American Horror Story: Apocalypse s08e03 ‘Forbidden Fruit’: Written by Manny Coto; Directed by Loni Peristere
American Horror Story: Apocalypse s08e04 ‘Could It Be … Satan?’: Written by Tim Minear; Directed by Sheree Folkson
American Horror Story: Apocalypse s08e05 ‘Boy Wonder’: Written by John J. Gray; Directed by Gwyneth Horder-Payton.
Fans of American Horror Story were treated to two great news drops at this year’s Television Critics Association (TCA) summer press event:
● the horror anthology series had been renewed for a 10th season (FX Networks CEO John Landgraf: “He (Murphy) asked for a 10th season of American Horror Story which we were happy to give to him”);
● Jessica Lange would be reprising her Murder House role as Constance Langdon, appearing in the sixth episode – also marking Paulson’s directorial debut on the show (Paulson: “I have the great pleasure of saying, yes, she (Lange) will be back”).
Paulson, Lange, Emma Roberts, Connie Britton, Dylan McDermott, Evan Peters, Kathy Bates, Cheyenne Jackson, Billie Lourd, Billy Eichner, Adina Porter, Leslie Grossman, Taissa Farmiga, Gabourey Sidibe, Lily Rabe, Frances Conroy, and Stevie Nicks are set to return to Murphy’s horrific universe. Joan Collins (Dynasty), Cody Fern (House of Cards), Ashley Santos (We All Fall Down), and Kyle Allen (The Path) will be joining the cast this season.
Now get your scorecards out to see how everyone matches up, AHS fans! Rabe appeared in the Murder House, Coven, Hotel, and Roanoke seasons, while Sidibe appeared in Coven, Freak Show, and Hotel. Farmiga appeared in Murder House, Coven, and Roanoke; AHS mainstay Conroy has appeared in six seasons: Murder House, Asylum, Coven, Freak Show, Roanoke, and Cult. Nicks appeared as the White Witch during Coven.
Meanwhile… Paulson’s Billie Dean Howard appeared in Murder House, and her Cordelia Foxx appeared in Coven. Peters played ghostly teen Tate Langdon in Murder House and fraternity president Kyle Spencer in Coven. Lange’s Constance Langdon appeared in Murder House, while Bates and Roberts joined the franchise during Coven as Madame Delphine LaLaurie and Madison Montgomery, respectively.
And then we have new characters… Paulson as Ms. Wilhemina Venable, Peters as Mr. Gallant, Bates as Ms. Miriam Mead, Grossman as Coco St. Pierre Vanderbilt, Lourd as Mallory, and Porter as Dinah Stevens.
- Charmed Season 1 ‘Pilot’ Review: A Strong Start That Honors, Updates Original Series - October 15, 2018
- Simon Pegg on Amazon’s The Boys (The Bleeding Cool Interview) - October 15, 2018
- HBO’s Watchmen: Damon Lindelof “Remix” Series Releases New Teaser Image, Logo - October 15, 2018
- The Walking Dead s09e02 ‘The Bridge’ Builds Season 9 Tension Effectively (REVIEW) - October 15, 2018
- Bring Out Your Dead 902: Bleeding Cool’s The Walking Dead Live-Blog! - October 14, 2018