Iceland is one of my favourite countries on Earth. Reykjavik is one of my favourite cities. And it is also home to one of my favourite comic books, Nexus. There may be a correlation between these points somewhere.
And at Thought Bubble in Leeds next week, there are two books coming from the far north to the just a bit north…
Ísland by Laurel Pettitt is a graphic journal from her time in Iceland, which she spent with my triplet brother and sister. Set over the course of eleven days, this book is full of observational drawings, interesting facts, folklore and comics. 164 pages for £10, you’ll find her in the comiXology Marquee
And an actual Icelandic comic, Bruce the Angry Bear, Vol. 1: Welcome to Gaykjavík by Jono Duffy & Einar V. Másson
Bruce is an Angry Bear. Join him and his partner Spencer in this weekly comic created by comedian Jonathan Duffy and illustrator Einar V. Másson.
There’s not a lot Bruce is fond of, besides beer and steak but he’s sure to entertain as he paws his way through the working week in Gaykjavík.
Bruce the Angry Bear is the first gay comic strip to be produced and published regularly by the media in Iceland. This volume collects all of the Bruce the Angry Bear strips originally published between January and December 2017 on the website www.gayiceland.is
You’ll find them in the Mercy Marquee, 20 pages for £5.
- Thank FOC It’s Sunday #7 – That Was The Week That Was - December 16, 2018
- Win a Private Tour of DC Comics’ Archive for LGBTQ Charity - December 16, 2018
- Hindus Call For Apology From Marvel Over Uncanny X-Men #5 - December 16, 2018
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List 16th December 2018 – Batman Damned Beats The One Who Laughs - December 16, 2018
- Monica’s Gang/DC Comics Crossover Published in Brazil - December 16, 2018