Iceland is one of my favourite countries on Earth. Reykjavik is one of my favourite cities. And it is also home to one of my favourite comic books, Nexus. There may be a correlation between these points somewhere.
And at Thought Bubble in Leeds next week, there are two books coming from the far north to the just a bit north…
Ísland by Laurel Pettitt is a graphic journal from her time in Iceland, which she spent with my triplet brother and sister. Set over the course of eleven days, this book is full of observational drawings, interesting facts, folklore and comics. 164 pages for £10, you’ll find her in the comiXology Marquee
And an actual Icelandic comic, Bruce the Angry Bear, Vol. 1: Welcome to Gaykjavík by Jono Duffy & Einar V. Másson
Bruce is an Angry Bear. Join him and his partner Spencer in this weekly comic created by comedian Jonathan Duffy and illustrator Einar V. Másson.
There’s not a lot Bruce is fond of, besides beer and steak but he’s sure to entertain as he paws his way through the working week in Gaykjavík.
Bruce the Angry Bear is the first gay comic strip to be produced and published regularly by the media in Iceland. This volume collects all of the Bruce the Angry Bear strips originally published between January and December 2017 on the website www.gayiceland.is
You’ll find them in the Mercy Marquee, 20 pages for £5.
- Tibalt Appears on Magic The Gathering: Chandra #3, Fandom Goes Wild - October 17, 2018
- Fortnite Parody Comic ‘Fartnite’ to be Published From Remy Eisu Mokhtar and Chris Crosby - October 17, 2018
- Sarah Kuhn and Alitha Martinez Return to Barbie Comics, in Papercutz January 2019 Solicitations - October 17, 2018
- Dave Sim Parodies X-Men For New Comic, Giant-Size Jingles - October 17, 2018
- Blake Northcott and Donny Tran Launch New ‘What If?’ Line From Aspen in January 2019 Solicits - October 17, 2018