The upcoming season of The CW’s Supergirl will be a special one, and not just because of the guest stars. The Arrowverse / Berlantiverse series will introduce the first trans superhero to the television universe, and actress Nicole Maines will be bringing character Nia to life.
She recently spoke with Entertainment Weekly about the role, not giving away much but also opening up a small bit about what this role means to her:
““Saying it now sounds obvious, but that can be really hard to remember when you’re a trans kid who feels like your world’s been turned upside down. Just having someone to see in the media is so empowering and validating.
I’ve been trying to conduct myself on set like this isn’t the only thing I’m thinking about, but it’s all I’m thinking about. That’s when it’ll really sink in that we have a trans superhero.”
Of her character, Maines says:
“she reaches in and she recognizes her experience, and other people’s experiences, and brings folks together. She just lights my own fire to continue working for social justice; I admire her so much.
When I was younger, if there had been a trans superhero, that would’ve been a game-changer.”
Supergirl Executive Producer Robert Rovner teased a bit about what we can expect to see with this season’s use of the character:
“We’re telling a lot of stories of what’ll be happening in National City as a result of things that happen in the season opener. She’ll be reporting on all that there is and kind of learning from both Kara and from James. There are things that happen in this season opener that kind of propel the whole season forward, and the rise of the Children of Liberty and Agent Liberty [Sam Witwer], and she gets very involved with that.”
Supergirl season 4 is set to return to The CW on Sunday October 14th 2018.
- Warner Bros. Focusing on Supergirl Film, Drops Superman Plans
- Flash Season 5 Poster Shows Nora Racing Barry in Costume
- Meet the New Supergirl Cast in New Season 4 Trailer
- Superheroes Fight Back (Spare Subway) in CW Teaser; 'Black Lightning' Gets New Poster
- Supergirl's Nicole Maines On Playing Television's First Transgender Superhero, What Fans Can Expect from Dreamer
- Look, Up in the Sky! It's a Bird! It's a Plane! It's Melissa Benoist Filming 'Supergirl' Season 4!
- Supergirl Season 4 Adds Star Trek: The Next Generation's Brent Spiner as VP
- ‘Godzilla: King of the Monsters’ Gets New Poster, Trailer TOMORROW! - December 9, 2018
- NASA Gives Marvel Studios Advice on Rescuing Tony Stark - December 9, 2018
- Box Office: ‘Ralph’ Still on Top, ‘Aquaman’ Rules China - December 9, 2018
- ‘Doctor Who’ New Year’s Day Title Revealed: “Resolution” - December 8, 2018
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Sets 24 Hour Trailer Record with 289 Million Views - December 8, 2018