Every month, Marvel offers retailers the chance to commission exclusive covers for certain titles — as long as they order thousands of copies. It’s an effective, if expensive way for both parties to a) get some promotion and create collectables for the market, and b) up their orders. Begun by Dreamwave back in the day, it was popularised by IDW and now Marvel Comics does it more than anyone else with anywhere between five and 10 titles a month.
Come July, Marvel Comics will be allowing retailers to commission exclusive covers for the following titles. I am guessing that Uncanny X-Men #1 is going to be a big one, but some stores may also be intrigued by Ironheart ‘1.
- Uncanny X-Men #1 (Order By 10/5)
- Black Order #1 (Order By 9/28)
- Marvel Knights 20th #1 (Order By 9/28)
- Avengers #700 (Order By 10/5)
- Ironheart #1 (Order By 10/5)
- Web Of Venom: Carnage Born #1 (Order By 10/12)
- Dead Man Logan #1 (Order By 10/19)
- Fantastic Four #4 (Order By 10/19)
But just remember, even if Marvel offers such deals to retailers, they may not take them. Did any store have a retailer variant on Asgardians Of The Galaxy #1? Iceman #1? Thanos Legacy got a few though… such as this from Travis Charest.
- The Daily LITG, 22nd October 2018 – Happy Birthday Steven Grant - October 22, 2018
- Ten Thoughts About Doctor Who – Rosa - October 21, 2018
- Rosa – The First Doctor Who to Make Me Cry Since Father’s Day - October 21, 2018
- Trailer for Next Week’s Doctor Who: Arachnids In The UK - October 21, 2018
- Rick & Morty Exclusives From MCM London Comic Con - October 21, 2018