In a not truly surprising move, the Academy of Motion Pictures has chosen to drop the newly minted “popular film” category from the 91st Annual Academy Awards oscars ceremony.
The announcement initially of this new category was met with outright disbelief by many in the industry; why the need to present such a one-sided award when the ceremony is meant to celebrate the best achievements in cinema over the year, not the ‘most popular’.
Following a meeting of the board of governors, the new category will NOT be introduced at the upcoming Oscars. Academy CEO Dawn Hudson said:
“There has been a wide range of reactions to the introduction of a new award, and we recognize the need for further discussion with our members. We have made changes to the Oscars over the years — including this year — and we will continue to evolve while also respecting the incredible legacy of the last 90 years.”
Chadwick Boseman, star of Disney’s record-breaking Black Panther, commented on the situation recently, unhappy (as most fans were) that the category was seen as a possible attempt to pull the film from Best Picture contention.
“A good movie is a good movie and clearly it doesn’t matter how much money a movie makes in order for it to be ‘a good movie’ [in the minds of Academy members] because if [it did], the movies that get nominated and win [which have tended in recent years to not be blockbusters] wouldn’t get nominated; and if it doesn’t matter, it doesn’t matter on both sides.” The actor adds, “For my money, the only thing that matters is the level of difficulty.”
- Bruce Campbell Says He'd Host The Oscars
- There Are 25 Animated Films Competing in 2018 Oscars Race
- Chadwick Boseman Talks New 'Popular Film' Oscars Category and Black Panther
- The Razzies Pen Letter to The Oscars About New Category
- The Academy Announces Changes to The Oscars are Coming
- George Takei Boards Season 2 of AMC’s ‘The Terror’ - December 18, 2018
- Joel Harlow Talks ‘Hellboy’ Makeup, Getting Mike Mignola’s Approval - December 18, 2018
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’: Number One, Captain Pike More Than Shipmates? - December 18, 2018
- Disney+ Period Piece ‘Lady and The Tramp’ Will Have Real Dogs - December 18, 2018
- Emily Blunt, John Krasinski: Hollywood Romance Is NOT Dead - December 18, 2018