Looks like it’s time to blow the dust off the old “chung-chung” sound effects machine one more time, with NBC making a 13-episode commitment to a new Law & Order series from L&O guru Dick Wolf and former Law & Order: SVU showrunner Warren Leight titled Law & Order: Hate Crimes.
The fictional police unit is expected to be introduced in the latter-half of Law & Order: SVU‘s upcoming 20th (!!!) season, and is based on New York’s real life Hate Crimes Task Force, the second oldest bias-based task force in the U.S. With a pledge to uphold a zero tolerance policy against discrimination of any kind, the HCTF works under the NYPD’s Special Victims Unit and directly with their parent unit’s detectives.
“As with all of my crime shows, I want to depict what’s really going on in our cities and shine a light on the wide-ranging victims and show that justice can prevail,” Wolf said. “Twenty years ago when ‘SVU’ began, very few people felt comfortable coming forward and reporting these crimes, but when you bring the stories into people’s living rooms – with characters as empathetic as Olivia Benson – a real dialogue can begin. That’s what I hope we can do with this new show in a world where hate crimes have reached an egregious level.” – Wolf
Here’s NBC’s official overview for the upcoming series (and good luck trying not to read it to yourself in that deep L&O narrator voice – we triple-dog dare ‘ya!):
Law & Order: Hate Crimes is set in New York City, where crimes motivated by discrimination are vigorously investigated by an elite, specially trained team of investigators. Going behind the headlines and viral videos, these diverse, dedicated and passionate detectives will stop at nothing to bring these criminals to justice.
*chung-CHUNG!* Sorry…it had to happen…
Produced by Wolf Entertainment in association with Universal Television, Law & Order: Hate Crimes is executive produced by Wolf, Leight, Peter Jankowski, and Arthur Forney.
- Fantastic Beasts’ Zoe Kravitz to Star in Disney’s High Fidelity Streaming Series - September 24, 2018
- Fear the Walking Dead s04e15 ‘I Lose People…’ Review: Now THIS is the FTWD We’ve Been Missing! - September 24, 2018
- Gotham Season 5: Is Shane West Just Begging Us to Assume He’s Bane? - September 24, 2018
- Dead Man Blogging 415: Bleeding Cool’s ‘Fear the Walking Dead’ Live-Blog! - September 23, 2018
- Better Call Saul Season 4 ‘Coushatta’: Nacho Looks to Expand His Power (PREVIEW) - September 22, 2018