BioWare has announced that Anthem players won’t have to purchase story DLC, as it will all come free.
There are a lot of people who have a lot of questions about Anthem, especially when it comes to its story. BioWare is well known for their narrative pedigree and creating choice-driven worlds and characters. Bringing that into a shared multiplayer space is always going to be a bit tricky, so there are certainly still questions as to how it will all come together.
In regards to the story though, here is one thing players won’t have to worry about. BioWare revealed during its PAX West panel that story content after launch will be free to all players. As reported by VG247, executive producer Mark Darrah said that the Anthem team doesn’t want to split its audience and will be releasing that content for everyone then. He said:
For storytelling we don’t want to divide the audience, we want people to be able to experience the same stories so none of that is going to be locked.
In terms of Anthem‘s monetisation, it was confirmed there would be buyable cosmetics but that all of those would be earnable in-game.
This is great to hear, as it means the entire community will be brought forward together. Unlike games like Destiny 2, which breaks up its content in DLC and expansions, this should make it a smooth experience for players. It’s great to see and is certainly a bonus for an audience becoming more and more sensitive to monetisation. Whether there will be other, non-story related content coming that we will pay for… well we don’t know yet, but at the very least, this is a nice little promise from the Anthem devs.
- Destiny 2’s Next DLC Set to Launch December 4th - November 16, 2018
- THQ Nordic has 35 Unannounced Projects After Acquiring Two New Studios - November 14, 2018
- Overwatch League Team Chengdu Hunters Revealed - November 13, 2018
- Ark: Survival Evolved Hit All Time Peak Players On Steam This Weekend - November 13, 2018
- Despite Activision’s Comments, Destiny 2 Director Says Bungie Aren’t Disappointed With Forsaken - November 12, 2018