Japanese publisher Happinet has unveiled a new real-time dungeon RPG today with Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle. Aside from looking creepy as hell with visuals in the trailer that might give you some nightmare fuel for a few weeks, the game will focus on monsters and legends from Japanese lore as the foundation for the encounters you’ll have in the game. Check out some of the details from the press release below, as well as the official trailer.
Featuring a unique approach to the traditional real-time dungeon RPG genre, Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle encourages players to split their party with its exclusive 2-party system, a feature not yet seen in real-time dungeon RPGs on consoles, making strategic fights easier. Players must use unique skills and move-sets in destroying monsters with distinctive attacks and behavior, while executing pincer attacks, flanks and more as you progress upward in the mysteries castle to defeat the rebel mastermind causing the extraordinary events on the island.
“We’re excited to bring such a challenging real-time RPG to living rooms and on console platforms,” said Masaru Saito, Producer of Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle. “We hope to bring out the Dungeon Masters in everyone who plays Haunted Dungeons: Hyakki Castle as the game proudly showcases deep roots of Ancient Japanese folklore and delivers a unique experience like no other.”
- Real-time RPG Action: Execute various tactics such as flanking, distracting, and more for your party in real-time as “Yokai” appear throughout the castle to bring death upon players
- Twice the Possibilities: Split your group of assassins into two parties at any time to deal with traps, puzzles, and enemies for unparalleled strategy and party options
- Explore a Monstrous Castle: The enormous castle is filled with cunning traps—some of which can only be solved by dividing your party—and tough boss monsters, testing player instincts and judgement
- Explore Japanese Character Classes and Races: Choose to play as an Oni, Tengu, Human, or Nekomata with four distinct races on tap to add diverse skillsets to your party
- Tutorial Mode: Learn to survive and defeat the Yokai and bosses in a tutorial mode that provides an in-depth explanation on all the mechanics and tactics needed to survive
- Redefined UI Experience: Experience real-time gameplay with improved UI designed for console gameplay and beginners of the real-time dungeon RPG genre