Last week’s Batman #53 set the internet ablaze over its apparent revelations about Batman’s atheism. Bleeding Cool Rumourmonger-in-Chief Rich Johnston penned an article titled All the Reasons Batman’s Atheism Doesn’t Make Sense – And One That Does, pointing out, amongst other things, that Batman has personally known and fought beside an actual angel, as well as various other deities and deity-adjacent characters. So was this a major continuity change, or is Batman stupid? Or was he lying to get the result he wanted from the jury, deliberating over the guilt of Mr. Freeze?
Now, writer Tom King has weighed in on the subject, writing on Twitter, “Lot of people saying Batman 53 (which I wrote) shows Batman is an atheist. That’s not how I read that comic.”
Of course, King does diplomatically allow that his own interpretation is not the only valid one, saying, “But I don’t think my reading of it is the most important one. Anyway, I hope you read the whole thing for yourself and decide for yourself.”
First Batman and Catwoman don’t really get married, and now Batman isn’t really an atheist (er… depending on your interpretation)? Can we trust anything about Batman anymore?!
Lot of people saying Batman 53 (which I wrote) shows Batman is an atheist. That’s not how I read that comic. But I don’t think my reading of it is the most important one.
Anyway, I hope you read the whole thing for yourself and decide for yourself. pic.twitter.com/qikN7oZIyr
— Tom King (@TomKingTK) August 21, 2018
- How Will Rogue and Gambit Escape Their Predicament in Mr. and Mrs. X #4? A Sexy Sneak Peek - September 24, 2018
- A Double Dose of Rick & Morty, Plus: Dream Daddy, Invader Zim, More in Oni Press Previews for 9-26-18 - September 24, 2018
- Dark Horse to Publish Minecraft OGN by Sfé R. Monster, Sarah Grayley, John J. Hill - September 24, 2018
- Valiant Reveals Exclusives for New York Comic Con - September 24, 2018
- BOOM! Snags License for Lev Grossman’s The Magicians, Plans OGN by Lilah Sturges and Pius Bak - September 24, 2018