You know what’s worse than getting the banhammer from an admin in Grand Theft Auto Online? Getting a real one from a federal judge over the same ordeal. Take-Two Interactive filed a suit against a player named David Zipperer, accusing him of cheating by selling and using programs like Menyoo and Absolute for the sole purpose of griefing on other players. Apparently, banning him from their own servers wasn’t enough, so they took him to court saying his use of the programs infringed on the original GTAV copyright the game is based on.
According to Reuters, the judge awarded an injunction against Zipperer from distributing the software and playing the game himself, citing that the company proved “his programs would cause irreparable harm to its sales and reputation by discouraging users from buying its video games.” However, the judge also dismissed an unfair competition complaint. Take-Two claimed the disruptions to the game cost them at least $500k in revenue — while that probably feels like chump change to them, it’s also nothing to sneeze at as far as income for the company.
The judgment is the latest in a string from companies suing hackers and program developers that create tools designed to break games like Grand Theft Auto Online. No word yet on whether or not Zipperer will appeal.
- GTA Online Celebrates Independence Day with Oodles of Explosions
- A Fake Message Went Out to GTA 5 Players Saying That GTA 6 is Coming Out Next Year
- Grand Theft Auto Online Will Be Getting Nightclubs in Next Update
- GTA Online Continues to Be a Top Seller for Take Two Interactive
- Rumor: GTA Online Teasing New Radio Stations Coming Summer 2018
- Check Out the Latest Video Game Releases for November 13-19, 2018 - November 14, 2018
- 2018 Hearthstone All-Star Invitational Returns to Taiwan in December - November 13, 2018
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider’s First DLC “The Forge” is Released - November 13, 2018
- VRV is Currently Hosting “The History of PlayStation” Documentary - November 13, 2018
- Dark Horse Comics Reveals Images from New Breath of the Wild Book - November 13, 2018