Steve McNiven was announced as the artist on the upcoming high-profile The Return of Wolverine series. And he has been showing off his very-Barry-Windsor-Smith-influenced new style for the project.
But Bleeding Cool gets the word that it won’t be the only art style seen in the series, and that artist Declan Shalvey has been drafted in as a co-artist working on the series.
It hasn’t been announced, and this cached listing for Declan Shalvey’s variant cover for issue 2 of the series has been deleted from Diamond’s website — might it have given the game away?
McNiven hasn’t been the timeliest of artists on occasion in his career. Delays to the original Civil War saw all the crossover series also delayed, while the Nemesis series has yet to see its much-delayed sequel. And Marvel did appear to build in a long lead time to this new series.
Still, if true, it should be a nice US-profile-raiser for Shalvey, who already enjoys a strong fanbase on this side of the pond, his work including Injection, Savage Town, Deadpool vs. Old Man Logan, Moon Knight and more.
He is currently touring the States doing comic store signings, but do remember: if this story is indeed true, he probably won’t be able to confirm it. Though he might be able to say whether it is bollocks…
But it might be worth noting that Charles Soule, writer of Return of Wolverine, was in Ireland recently and signing at the same store as Declan…
- Return of Wolverine #4 Slips Into January 2019 - October 18, 2018
- Ch-Ch-Changes: Vault Of Spiders #2 Adds Scott Koblish, Mark Bagley and More - October 18, 2018
- Sara Pichelli Replaced on Fantastic Four #4 by Stefano Caselli - October 18, 2018
- Ch-Ch-Changes: Luciano Vecchio Will Join Ironheart #1, Issue #2 Slips to January - October 18, 2018
- Will You Find Doctor Aphra in Your Return of Wolverine #1 Second Printing? - October 18, 2018