WWE sent out a press release today promoting the 1000th episode of SmackDown Live, which takes place on October 16th at the Capital One Arena in Washington, DC. Tickets for the event go on sale on Friday, August 17th at 10 a.m. via all the usual sources.
WWE didn’t reveal details on what to expect from the event, but tradition dictates we will probably see a nostalgia-fueled trip down memory lane… well, the parts of memory lane that WWE deems marketable enough to be a part of official WWE history.
In the press release, WWE Chairman and CEO The Genetic Jackhammer said:
1,000 episodes is a tremendous milestone reinforcing the longevity and popularity of WWE. But it’s only the beginning, and the best is yet to come for SmackDown.
Truly insightful, Vince.
Here’s some more bragging from the press release:
On air since 1999, SmackDown Live is the second-longest running weekly episodic cable television show in U.S. primetime history, only behind Monday Night Raw. SmackDown Live is currently among the most-watched, regularly scheduled programs on primetime cable and delivers more viewers in primetime than any cable network in the U.S. (2.9 million average viewers). SmackDown Live has aired more original episodes than some of the most popular television series of all time, including The Simpsons, Gunsmoke, Lassie and Monday Night Football.
SmackDown Live has also helped launch the careers of pop-culture icons including Dwayne “The Rock®” Johnson, John Cena®, Undertaker®, Triple H®, “Stone Cold®” Steve Austin and The Bella Twins™.
- J. Jonah Jameson, This is Your Life! Next Week’s Amazing Spider-Man #12 - December 16, 2018
- Clone Drone Problems in Next Week’s Life of Captain Marvel #3 - December 16, 2018
- Where’s the Other Side of the Climate Change Debate in Next Week’s Defenders: The Best Defense? - December 16, 2018
- Experience Baba Von Doom’s Thrice-Baked Potatoes in Next Week’s Runaways #16 - December 16, 2018
- Morgan Le Fay Shows a Clear Lack of Gratitude in Weapon H #11 - December 16, 2018