This morning Discord announced that the company has officially launched a beta version of a new venture: an online gaming store.
We have the finer details and costs below, but the Discord Store will essentially sell you games much like Steam does from select clients; however, they will download directly to your PC rather than through a client. Its an interesting approach and we’re a little surprised that the company chose to go this way, but we’ll see in time if the new venture bears any fruit.
Discord Store – the platform’s first foray into providing games directly to its users and a new monetization channel for the company – is launching in a beta phase to about 50,000 Canadian users.
The store will offer top games from big publishers like Deep Silver and THQ, as well as indie developers like Raw Fury (a full list is at the bottom of this email). Participants will be selected from Discord Nitro subscribers and provided access to the new game subscription service. They will also be able to purchase titles directly through Discord. Discord Nitro will cost $4.99 USD/month or $49.99 USD/year.
Alongside these features, Discord is also announcing “First on Discord” titles — indie games that Discord is helping to bring to life exclusively. For a period of time (usually 90 days), these exclusive indie titles will only be available on Discord.
Finally, Discord is launching a Universal Library. Discord users will be able to opt-in to let Discord scan your computer for games and allow users to launch any game directly from Discord,even if the game requires another launcher.
- Discord Officially Launches Their New Store Globally
- Discord Announces Their First Seven Games Coming to the Service
- The Endless Mission is Receiving a Beta After PAX West
- Convict Games Reveals Their Latest Game That's All Cool Man in STONE
- Discord Introduces "Priority Speak" for Their Voice System
- Another 'Doctor Who' Leak; BBC Requests Subpoena from CA Court
- Microsoft Teams With Discord, But Doesn't Include Audio Service
- YouTube Drops Thousands of Partners in New "Know Your Customer" Policy
- Apple's iOS 11 Update For iPhone Breaks Discord
- Black Ops 4 Reveals a Short Preview of New Character Reaper - December 17, 2018
- Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet Recieves Dissonance of the Nexus Expansion - December 17, 2018
- SEGA Ages Will Add Puyo Puyo and Puyo Puyo 2 on Nintendo Switch - December 17, 2018
- Soulja Boy Says He’s Going to Launch His Own Esports Team - December 17, 2018
- EA Dice Will Restore TTK in New Battlefield V Playlists - December 17, 2018