By the time Venom rolls into theaters in October it will be the second time the character has been on the big screen. Topher Grace played Venom in Spider-Man 3, but he didn’t exactly receive critical praise. It wasn’t exactly his fault though — he was miscast, and that’s on the studio and director Sam Raimi than anyone else. Still, he was the first one to play the character, so Inverse asked him what he thought about Tom Hardy taking on the role.
“To me — I truly mean this — I think Tom is the guy to play that role,” Grace says. “I’m thrilled to watch it as a fan. I really mean that. I think he’s just the best dude.” Grace also brings up Hardy’s role as Batman villain Bane from Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises as proof. “He’s proven he can do comic book villains amazing.”
Grace admits that he was a little worried when he was cast for the 2007 movie since his physique didn’t exactly match up with the character he was such a fan of from the comics.
“I understand Sam’s interpretation, which was to do a dark version of Tobey [Maguire]’s character,” he says. “I was thrilled because I was such a fan of the character, but I was aware of how it was different from what I had grown up reading. I thought it was cool, but I’m really excited to see [Tom Hardy’s version]. That’s the character I grew up with.”
So there’s absolutely no bad blood here, and Grace is getting the chance to play a real-life super villain as he takes on the role of David Duke in BlacKkKlansman, which comes out this week.
Summary: When Eddie Brock acquires the powers of a symbiote, he will have to release his alter-ego “Venom” to save his life.
Venom, directed by Ruben Fleischer, will star Tom Hardy, Riz Ahmed, Jenny Slate, Reid Scott, and Michelle Williams. It will be released on October 5th.
- Venom Director Promises Grounded, Tonally Different Comic Book Film
- Josh Trank Shares Image of Tom Hardy as Al Capone from 'Fonzo'
- New Image from Venom Shows off the Details of the Monster
- Aquaman Director James Wan Was Given the Opportunity to Direct The Flash - December 16, 2018
- Amy Adams Clarifies That She Isn’t Officially out of the DC Universe - December 16, 2018
- From Spider-Ham to Sinister Six Sony Isn’t Ruling Anything out for Future Movies - December 14, 2018
- First Details for the Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Sequel and Spin-Off are Confirmed - December 14, 2018
- Jason Momoa Comments on Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck Reportedly Leaving the DC Universe - December 13, 2018