Another day, another entry into the ongoing saga of filmmaker James Gunn post-Disney firing. Apparently Warner Bros. wants him next, according to pretty much every big entertainment website today.
All the usual suspects (The Hollywood Reporter, Deadline, Variety, etc.) have run variations on the same story: at present, Gunn is in final negotiations with Disney to sever whatever contractual obligations remain in the wake of the Guardians of the Galaxy writer and director being fired, the possible settlement amount, and where he’ll be laying his spiky-haired head next.
“An end-all verdict hasn’t been issued and conversations with Marvel are still ongoing,” Variety says.
“Sources” are being cited as saying the monetary settlement could be as much as $7-10 million, depending on the stipulations of greenlighting and in-production clauses that may have been in place for the third entry into the GotG franchise that Gunn had completed writing and was on board to direct.
As far as where he may go next, the same unnamed sources (this time an unnamed studio executive) say that Warner Bros. is a likely player in the game, but that they “can’t bring anything to [Gunn] until the Disney matter is 100 percent resolved,” which makes sense, considering.
If this all plays out the way it seems like it’s going to, with Disney absolutely severing all ties with Gunn, then we’d love to see him end up with a studio like Focus Features or A24. Specifically, A24, where the filmmaker could really thrive with the proper backing and projects. Not that he hasn’t with Disney, but the current situation seems to point to the House of Mouse conveniently forgetting Gunn’s almost ’90s-shock-jock-style humor roots.
We’ll of course keep you apprised of the situation and let you know as soon as firm details and information is released by Disney, WB, and/or Gunn.
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3' on Hold, Production Crew Dismissed
- Disney Reportedly Standing Firm on Not Reinstating James Gunn
- Chris Pratt Says the Situation Is "Complicated" Following James Gunn's Firing
- Dave Bautista Says He'll Quit If Disney Scraps James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Script
- David Hasselhoff Says He Supports James Gunn
- Guardians of the Galaxy Star Dave Bautista Calls Working For Disney "Nauseating" After Company Empowered "Fascist #Cybernazis" Campaign by Firing James Gunn
- Kurt Russell Comments on James Gunn, Hopes Gunn is "Forgiven"
- Report: Disney Is Not Planning on Rehiring James Gunn
- Mike Colter Hopes for James Gunn Reinstatement as Don Cheadle and Chris Evans Deny Unfollowing Fired Guardians of the Galaxy Director
- Sean Gunn Comments on the Petition and the Open Letter Supporting Rehiring James Gunn
- Guardians of the Galaxy Cast Releases Statement Supporting James Gunn
- Adult Swim Stands with 'Rick and Morty' Co-Creator Dan Harmon, Who Apologizes for "Distasteful" Video
- Guardians of the Galaxy Star Dave Bautista on James Gunn: Whatcha Gonna Do When #Cybernazis Come for You?
- Sean Gunn Defends Brother James Gunn After Guardians of the Galaxy Firing
- Disney Fires Guardians of the Galaxy Director James Gunn Over Old Offensive Tweets
- Guardians of the Galaxy Director Says Trump is Worse Than Thanos
- Dame Judi Dench Joins Idris Elba in ‘Cats’ Feature Film - October 18, 2018
- Jon Favreau Shares Photo of His ‘Lion King’ Production - October 18, 2018
- Tony Awards Announce Broadcast Date, and Venue for 2019 - October 18, 2018
- ‘Wheel of Time’ Showrunner Asks What Fans What They Want in Series - October 18, 2018
- Yes, Really: NASA Just Gave Godzilla His Own Constellation - October 18, 2018