Just when we were all starting to recover from the happenings of Avengers: Infinity War, the Marvel Studios feature released on Blu-ray and DVD to rip open those wounds and rub Thanos-sized grains of salt in them.
Chief among this rekindled sorrow is, of course, that heartbreaking dissolve of one Mr. Peter Parker (Tom Holland) while in the arms of Tony Stark/Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.). There were many questions raised by why Peter took so long to fade completely, when other characters were almost instantaneously taken out.
Co-director and one half of The Russo Brothers Joe Russo answered this question in the director’s commentary track of the newly home-released film.
“If I remember correctly, right, it was ‘I don’t feel so good’ — Tony looked at him, he said, ‘I’m sorry,’ and disappeared. At the end of the day, he kept driving to put more and more emotion into it. And just went up to Tom and said, ‘You don’t wanna go. You’re a child. And you’re using your strength as Spider-Man to fight this.’ And then that was the performance that came out.”
Not sure if better or worse to know it was a performance-based choice, and perhaps not meant to be taken as Peter’s strength level, or a time-lapse issue of scenes happening out of sequence.
Either way, the moment is haunting and one that will no doubt stay with Marvel fans for a while.
Avengers: Infinity War is available now for home release on 4K, Blu-ray, DVD, and digital.
- Tom Holland Stops by Jimmy Kimmel Live in Spider-Man Suit
- Chatting with 'Avengers: Infinity War' Exec Producer Trinh Tran
- Avengers: Infinity War - A Brief Overview of 4K Blu-Ray Special Features
- Marvel Studios Releases 41 Seconds of 'Avengers: Infinity War' Gag Reel
- The 'Black Panther' Cast Improvised That Chant in 'Avengers: Infinity War'
- Writer Jay Basu Added to ‘Battlestar Galactica’ Film - December 18, 2018
- George Takei Boards Season 2 of AMC’s ‘The Terror’ - December 18, 2018
- Joel Harlow Talks ‘Hellboy’ Makeup, Getting Mike Mignola’s Approval - December 18, 2018
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’: Number One, Captain Pike More Than Shipmates? - December 18, 2018
- Disney+ Period Piece ‘Lady and The Tramp’ Will Have Real Dogs - December 18, 2018