The Guardians of the Galaxy cast has unanimously released a statement supporting recently fired director James Gunn.
The cast posted to their respective Instagram accounts today, saying that while they don’t condone the statements/tweets James Gunn made in the past, it has been a pleasure working with him and that:
“The character he has shown in the wake of his firing is consistent with the man he was every day on set, and his apology, now and from years ago when first addressing these remarks, we believe is from the heart, a heart we all know, trust, and love.”
The cast waited 10 days to issue a statement so they could do so in a coordinated effort.
Actors Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Karen Gillan, Bradley Cooper, Sean Gunn, Pom Klementieff, and Michael Rooker all signed the statement.
You can read it in its entirety below:
Many included #wearegroot in the description.
It’s unclear whether Disney/Marvel will take this into account when considering the fate of the next Guardians of the Galaxy film, or whether or not their decision would impact the return of the cast (though there are of course contractual obligations to consider). The statement supporting the director is just vague enough to leave room for individual decisions, but it’s clear that the cast put considerable time into the wording of their efforts.
We’ll update further if there’s a response from the director. You can read his original reaction to the firing here:
1. Many people who have followed my career know when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I’ve developed as a person, so has my work and my humor.
— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3' on Hold, Production Crew Dismissed
- Disney Reportedly Standing Firm on Not Reinstating James Gunn
- Chris Pratt Says the Situation Is "Complicated" Following James Gunn's Firing
- Sources Say Warner Bros. Wants James Gunn Post-Disney Exit
- Kurt Russell Comments on James Gunn, Hopes Gunn is "Forgiven"
- Report: Disney Is Not Planning on Rehiring James Gunn
- Jim Starlin, Bobcat Goldthwait, and Lloyd Kaufman Defend James Gunn as Petition to #ReleaseTheGunnCut Hits 215,000 Signatures
- Michael Rooker Quits Twitter, Chris Pratt Tweets the Bible, and Petition to Release the Gunn Cut of Guardians of the Galaxy 3 Hits 175,000 Signatures
- Guardians of the Galaxy Star Dave Bautista on James Gunn: Whatcha Gonna Do When #Cybernazis Come for You?
- Guardians of the Galaxy Star Dave Bautista Defends James Gunn: "I'm NOT Okay with What's Happening to Him"
- Disney Fires Guardians of the Galaxy Director James Gunn Over Old Offensive Tweets
- Guardians of the Galaxy Director Says Trump is Worse Than Thanos
- Ike Barinholtz on Taking on ‘The Oath’ and Thanksgiving - October 20, 2018
- Timothée Chalamet and Steve Carell on ‘Beautiful Boy’ – MVFF - October 20, 2018
- Celebrating ‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’ Season 4 with Rachel Bloom and Gabrielle Ruiz - October 13, 2018
- Getting Wilde with Rupert Everett and ‘The Happy Prince’ - October 13, 2018
- Netflix Nabs Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson’s ‘John Henry & The Statesmen’ - October 9, 2018