It looks like Nintendo is going to start cracking down on ROM sites again, as the company unleashed a brand new set of lawsuits this week. TorrentFreak has the complete PDF document if you’d like to read it, but the two websites being targeted are LoveROMS and LoveRetro. Both websites are owned and operated by the same person, but while the first one remains active, the second has been shut down entirely. Nintendo’s claim is that the company is giving away, for free, classic games from the NES and SNES eras and that they are losing money on their Classic NES and SNES consoles because of it.
Nintendo continues to produce, market, and sell many of the video games originally developed for its earlier video game systems, including NES and SNES. In 2016, Nintendo released NES Classic Edition, a miniaturized version of the NES console that features pre-installed copies of many of the most memorable games designed for NES. In 2017, Nintendo released SNES Classic Edition, a miniaturized version of SNES which also features pre-installed copies of many iconic games designed for SNES. Nintendo continues to produce, market, and sell NES Classic Edition and SNES Classic Edition.
It’s a valid argument, albeit a weak one, as the company’s efforts to release an entire retro library have been spotty, even when the Virtual Console was around and kicking. It’s up to the U.S. Court District for the District of Arizona to decide whether or not the ROM sites are in the wrong. No date has been set for a hearing as of this posting.
- Snowpeak Studio Announces Blood Ancestors is Headed to Early Access
- The Ikari Warriors Trilogy Will Come to SNK's 40th Anniversary Collection
- Little Medusa Released as a Cartridge Game for SNES and Genesis
- Broken Sword 5 - The Serpent’s Curse is Coming to Nintendo Switch
- Good Shepherd Entertainment Releases New Gamplay Trailer for Phantom Doctrine
- Surgeon Simulator CPR is Coming to Nintendo Switch with Co-Op
- Digimon Survive Announced for PS4 and Nintendo Switch in 2019
- Jakks Pacific Brings Harry Potter, Nintendo, WWE, and Batman to SDCC
- Nintendo Drops Free Breath of the Wild DLC in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Did You Know Nintendo Once Had a Tingle Horror Game in the Works?
- Hot Wheels and Nintendo Team Up for Mario Kart Inspired Cars
- Techland Launching Their Own Battle Royale Game with Dying Light: Bad Blood - August 20, 2018
- Insomnia: The Ark Gets a New Lore Trailer From the Developers - August 19, 2018
- Jujubee Releases a New Trailer for Their Russian Submarine Game KURSK - August 19, 2018
- God of War Was Almost Set in Ancient Egypt, According to Developers - August 19, 2018
- Treadnauts Receives a New Launch Trailer as its Released on Steam - August 19, 2018