It appears a new esports initiative has garnered a lot more attention than people expected, and some big names from the Overwatch League are getting involved. A couple of weeks ago we reported that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and the Global Association of International Sports Federations (GAISF) were going to be holding a summit to discuss the possible inclusion of esports into the Olympics in some fashion. Apparently, many of you reading it were passionate about it on both sides of the coin. As it turns out, you’re not the only ones, as several esports figureheads took an interest and have decided to attend.
According to IGN, several players from the Overwatch League will be in attendance, along with pro-StarCraft II player Dario “TLO” Wünsch, Epic Games’ Mark Rein, Blizzard Entertainment’s Mike Morhaime.
Jacob “Jake” Lyon of the Houston Outlaws and Se-yeon “Geguri” Kim of the Shanghai Dragons are the two OWL players in attendance. The conference, which will wrap up tomorrow, is not about creating a specific plan for integrating esports into the Olympics immediately, according to Overwatch Wire. Instead, the two-day summit will focus on creating a relationship between esports professionals and the IOC.
Regardless about how you feel about the summit, at the very least it’s drawing in the kind of names you’d want there to address criticisms and question how it won’t end up being corrupted.
- Overwatch League Will Add a Team in Toronto Next Season
- PAX Aus 2018 to Host Alibaba’s WESG Oceania Esports Event
- Cox Enterprises Will Join the Overwatch League with a Team Next Season
- London Spitfire Are Your First Overwatch League Grand Champions
- The London Spitfire Advance to the Semifinals of the Overwatch League
- Philadelphia Fusion Progress to the Overwatch League Semifinals
- Overwatch League Finds a Broadcast Home with ABC and ESPN
- The Shanghai Dragons Finish Overwatch League With a 0-40 Record
- The Overwatch League Are Holding Their Own All-Star Game
- Techland Launching Their Own Battle Royale Game with Dying Light: Bad Blood - August 20, 2018
- Insomnia: The Ark Gets a New Lore Trailer From the Developers - August 19, 2018
- Jujubee Releases a New Trailer for Their Russian Submarine Game KURSK - August 19, 2018
- God of War Was Almost Set in Ancient Egypt, According to Developers - August 19, 2018
- Treadnauts Receives a New Launch Trailer as It’s Released on Steam - August 19, 2018