Yesterday, the world learned the shocking news that Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn was fired by Disney for edgelord tweets he made in 2008 and 2009 joking about pedophilia, rape, AIDS, 9/11, and the Holocaust. The tweets were shocking as much for their offensiveness as for their variety. These days, Gunn tweets almost exclusively about President Donald Trump, which is, the very thing that prompted conservative outrage peddler Mike Cernovich to target the outspoken Gunn by highlighting his old tweets in the first place.
Cernovich’s attack was successful on multiple fronts, both by getting Disney to fire Gunn and also by effectively depriving liberal media sites like this one of a dependable source of clickbait “news” articles; Gunn hasn’t tweeted about Donald Trump in nearly 24 hours!
Let’s honor Gunn’s final Trump tweet, which appeared immediately before Gunn’s apology in the wake of his firing:
If you don’t think it’s a problem the U.S. Director of Intelligence is warning us about the actions of the President of the United States, you‘re brainwashed or dumb. Do you know how serious things must be for Coats to be repeatedly speaking out against Trump? It’s unheard of.
— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018
Sadly, with Gunn apparently observing a period of social media silence, that may be the last we hear from Gunn about the President’s activities for a while. Meanwhile, at least one man is willing to stand up for James Gunn in the wake of his firing: professional wrestler-turned-actor Dave Bautista. Bautista, who played Drax in Guardians of the Galaxy, took to Twitter to post:
I will have more to say but for right now all I will say is this..@JamesGunn is one of the most loving,caring,good natured people I have ever met. He’s gentle and kind and cares deeply for people and animals. He’s made mistakes. We all have. Im NOT ok with what’s happening to him
— Dave Bautista (@DaveBautista) July 21, 2018
Disney, in a statement, called Gunn’s “offensive attitudes and statements” found on his 2008 Twitter timeline “indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values,” a phrase which here means “unlikely to be financially lucrative for Disney,” because corporations are not people and do not have “values” beyond those of their stocks. It’s unclear what more Bautista will say later to defend his friend. Will he refuse to film Marvel movies until Gunn is reinstated? We’ll have to wait to find out in a future clickbait article.
- Kurt Russell Comments on James Gunn, Hopes Gunn is "Forgiven"
- Report: Disney Is Not Planning on Rehiring James Gunn
- Guardians of the Galaxy Cast Releases Statement Supporting James Gunn
- A #MeToo Moment for the Time Variance Authority, Plus: In These Issues, X-Men Will Die! [X-ual Healing 8-22-18] - August 19, 2018
- Did Seth Rollins Raid Thanos’s Wardrobe for SummerSlam Outfit? [SPOILERS] - August 19, 2018
- Trish Stratus Returns for Evolution Dream Match Against Alexa Bliss - August 19, 2018
- Celestial Judgement is Upon the Marvel Universe, Plus Previews for All of Marvel’s 8/22 Releases - August 18, 2018
- Storm Tempted by the Dark Side in Previews for All of Next Week’s X-Men Comics - August 18, 2018