When the ending and the plot of Batman #50 was published by DC Comics in the New York Times the Sunday before the comic came out, there was uproar. Partly due to the spoiler in the headline, but also from some retailers who believed they had been sold a pup. They had been promised a Batman/Catwoman wedding, with solicitations stating that it was indeed happening, only Batbloke to be left standing on the roof altar.
Some retailers, having ordered thousands of non-returnable copies, started to talk about lawsuits, class-action movements to force DC Comics to make the comic returnable as it was falsely solicited.
Today, DC Comics made that unnecessary. Bleeding Cool has been informed that DC Comics will make both Batman #50 and Catwoman #1 that span out of it fully returnable. And they have done so because of expressed concerns from retailers. Or as they call them, partners.
Here are the returnable items.
- BATMAN #50 main cover by Mikel Janin (MAY180450)
- BATMAN #50 variant cover by Arthur Adams (MAY180451)
- BATMAN #50 variant cover by Jim Lee (MAY180452)
- BATMAN #50 blank variant cover (MAY180453)
- CATWOMAN #1 main cover by Joelle Jones (MAY180456)
- CATWOMAN #1 variant cover by Stanley “Artgerm” Lau (MAY180457)
- CATWOMAN #1 blank variant cover (MAY180458)
So basically, retailer exclusive covers, you’re stuck with them. Standard covers, send ’em back, if you still have them.
Of course, many stores will have sold through. But those with copies holding up the supporting wall, retailers may be stripping the covers off them and getting their money back.
There is one credo that I have never seen on such an announcement. DC Comics doubling down on the decision they made to publish how they did, saying:
DC stands by the amazing work of the creative teams involved on BATMAN #50 and CATWOMAN #1. DC also stands by its publication of BATMAN #50 and CATWOMAN #1, and we invite you to buckle up for the next 50 issues.
Which is the comic book publisher equivalent of Sorry/Not Sorry, right?
- DC Comics Cancel Orders For Batman: Creature Of The Night #4 – Will Return Later in 2019 - December 12, 2018
- Mark Seifert’s Marvel Declassified Returns on December 17th - December 12, 2018
- What Toys do People in the Marvel Universe Buy? Amazing Spider-Man #11 Reveals All - December 12, 2018
- Valiant Announces ‘Breakthrough’ Line-Up for 2019 - December 12, 2018
- Is Brian Azzarello Rewriting the Deaths of Thomas and Martha Wayne in Batman Damned? (Spoilers) - December 12, 2018