With AMC‘s Fear the Walking Dead riding high off strong positive reactions by both viewers and critics to the first-half of the series’ fourth season, co-showrunner Andrew Chambliss has shared a first look at Alicia (Alycia Debnam-Carey), which you can see below. Speaking with Entertainment Weekly, Chambliss also offered fans some insights into what the characters — and viewers — can expect ahead of the series’ August 12th return.
● The season’s second-half will focus on how Alicia is dealing psychologically and emotionally with being the last member of her family remaining:
“Alicia is in a very interesting place. She lost both her mother and her brother, so for the first time she’s really finding herself in the apocalypse without any of her biological family. Yes she has friends, yes she has Luciana, but there’s a big difference between having your friends around and not having your mother and you brother.”
● The remaining episodes for this season will determine whether Alicia can be the kind of leader her mother Madison (Kim Dickens) once was:
“This will be a sink or swim moment for Alicia. Can she step up to fill the leadership void left by the loss of her mom, or will she not be able to recover from the death of her family? “She’s realizing that she is on her own and is figuring out how she can keep the memory of both Madison and Nick alive. And a big part of what she’s going to be asking herself is whether she can fill Madison’s shoes and how that’s possible for her moving forward.”
● With Madison gone and the decision to move on from the past — and The Vultures — finally made, Strand (Colman Domingo), Luciana (Danay Garcia), and Alicia will now have to grapple with how to truly move on:
“We’re going to find each of them in a different place, but they’re all going to be kind of grappling with the same fundamental question. They spent so much of their time on this revenge quest and it was the thing that united the three of them, but now without that, it’s really kind of asking the question of how they relate to each other.”
“They are coming to terms with the fact that their revenge mission meant that they, for a time, forgot what Madison died for — the thing she believed in and the hope she tried to keep alive. Those three characters are trying to figure out how they can move forward and how they can keep Madison’s ideals alive when they kind of forgot them for so long.”
Attendees at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con will get a chance to dig for more information on the second-half of season 4 during Fear the Walking Dead‘s panel:
Fear the Walking Dead (Friday, July 20: 11:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. – Hall H)
Panelists (M: Yvette Nicole Brown): Colman Domingo, Alycia Debnam-Carey, Lennie James, Danay Garcia, Garret Dillahunt, Maggie Grace, and Jenna Elfman; executive producers/showrunners Andrew Chambliss and Ian Goldberg; and executive producers Scott M. Gimple, Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd, Greg Nicotero, and David Alpert.
The first half of season four began with one figure huddled around a campfire, and ended with nine. Characters who started their journeys in isolation collided with each other in unexpected ways and found themselves in one of the last places they ever expected to be…together. In the back half of the season they will explore who they are now – as individuals and as part of the greater group – and how they will forge ahead. They will find themselves pitted against new adversaries – human, walker, and even nature itself. Theirs will be a journey wrought with danger, love, heartbreak, loss, and ultimately, hope.
The series is executive produced by Scott M. Gimple, showrunners Andrew Chambliss and Ian Goldberg, as well as Robert Kirkman, David Alpert, Gale Anne Hurd and Greg Nicotero, and produced by AMC Studios. The series stars Lennie James, Alycia Debnam-Carey, Colman Domingo, Danay Garcia, Garret Dillahunt, Maggie Grace and Jenna Elfman.
- Heathers Season 1: Your Guide to Paramount Network’s 5-Night “Binge Event” - October 19, 2018
- Kidding Season 1, Episode 7 ‘Kintsugi’: “Mr. Pickles-san” Pays a Visit (PREVIEW) - October 19, 2018
- Charmed s01e02 ‘Let This Mother Out’: Can The Vera Sisters Trust Harry Greenwood? (PREVIEW) - October 19, 2018
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 13, Episode 7: ‘The Gang Does a Clip Show’ as Only They Can (REVIEW) - October 19, 2018
- The Walking Dead Season 9, Episode 3 ‘Warning Signs’: Saviors Want Answers from “The Widow” (PREVIEW) - October 19, 2018