CD Projekt RED’s CEO Adam Kiciński has said in an interview that even though the studio is focusing on Cyberpunk 2077 right now, another game in The Witcher world could be made. It just wouldn’t be called The Witcher 4.
The Witcher 3 will stay with most for a long time. The game has gotten to the point now where I think it is fair to call it a classic of the RPG genre, and with that comes a lot of fanfare. For many, it’s their favourite franchise, but with the conclusion of that game, it certainly felt like the series had come to a natural stopping point. With Cyberpunk 2077 in CD Projekt RED’s immediate slate, it’s unclear if The Witcher had a future as a video game franchise.
Well, it turns out it does, and it will be at the hands of CD Project RED, we just shouldn’t expect a continuation of the original trilogy’s story. Speaking to Polish outfit Bankier, CD Projekt RED’s CEO Adam Kiciński basically confirmed a new Witcher game will be coming at some point in the future, but that it won’t be called The Witcher 4. He said:
The first three Witchers were by definition a trilogy, so we simply could not name the next game ‘The Witcher 4’. This does not mean, of course, that we will leave the world of The Witcher. The Witcher is one of two franchises on which to build the future activities of the company. Today, unfortunately, I can not reveal anything more.
I do wonder what this means for the franchise. Does it mean we will move away from Geralt completely? Explore other parts of his life? Explore entirely new parts of the world. While this is all certainly years and years off, it’s always fun to speculate.
- Netflix's 'The Witcher' Showrunner Responds to Script Leak
- Edge Transit’s Drop Rate is Getting a Nerf in Destiny 2 - September 21, 2018
- Destiny 2’s Ace of Spades Quest Now Much Easier Thanks To Hotfix - September 21, 2018
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Can Be Played in First-Person - September 20, 2018
- Call of Cthulhu Gets a Spooky New Gameplay Trailer - September 20, 2018
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout Could Have 100 Players as Capacity Increased to End Beta - September 18, 2018