STXfilms has announced that Black Panther star Chadwick Boseman has joined the cast of the upcoming thriller 17 Bridges. Brian Kirk is set to direct a script by Adam Mervis, with Boseman serving as a producer alongside Logan Coles and Anthony and Joe Russo.
The movie “follows a disgraced NYPD detective (Boseman) who, after being thrust into a citywide manhunt for a cop killer, is given a shot at redemption.” It is set to go into production this September.
“STX has assembled a dream team of collaborators on 17 BRIDGES, bringing together the global talents behind two of the biggest action films ever made to give audiences a thrilling new take on the race against the clock crime-drama,” said Adam Fogelson, Chairman of STXfilms in a press release. “Chadwick Boseman’s razor-sharp instincts and undeniable charisma captivated millions of people around the world in Black Panther, and Joe and Anthony Russo have breathed a new energy into the action genre with films like Avengers: Infinity War. Their unique and intelligent approach to filmmaking is anything but formulaic, and with Brian Kirk at the helm directing, this film promises to go beyond the typical popcorn fare.”
STX is looking to move into the action genre with two major action releases this year: Mile 22 and Peppermint. They also have several movies in the works with action stars like Jason Statham and Vin Diesel. Other studios are not looking at taking risks on action properties that aren’t established brands. STX appears to be filling that niche of original IP that the action genre is lacking right now.
- 20th Century Fox Brings the Fun to Their Panel for The Predator - July 20, 2018
- San Diego Comic-Con Iron Fist Season 2 Panel Live-Blog - July 19, 2018
- First Teaser Trailer for Series 11 of Doctor Who Debuts at SDCC [VIDEO] - July 19, 2018
- At SDCC, Working Geek Moms Still Gotta Bring Home a Gift - July 19, 2018
- New Line Cinema Announces a 3rd Movie in the Annabelle Series at Scarediego - July 19, 2018