Rifts are the newest anomaly to hit the Fortnite: Battle Royale map after a rocket launched in game on July 2nd. The rifts appear as cracks in the sky and have mostly just been decoration in the background of the free-for-all PvP. Now, however, it appears as if those rifts are spawning item drops. So you might want to keep an eye on the sky while also making sure no one’s sneaking up behind you or trying to snip you from the top of Tilted.
According to IGN:
Fortnite’s rifts are at it again. No longer content to suck in-game items up and deposit them into the real world, the rifts are also now generating new in-game items.
While theories vary as to what this means, it appears likely to be yet another reference to what’s believed to be a Wild West theme for Season 5.
Fortnite: Battle Royale Leaks posted this image of the rift-spawned wagon on Twitter Sunday.
Meanwhile, Fortnite Intel noticed an anchor popping out of the rift between Greasy Grove and Snobby Shores. The anchor would seem to point towards something nautical rather than the speculated Old West theme, but it’s likely another reference to something happening in Season 5.
The rifts first began appearing following the recent in-game rocket launch event, and they began steadily growing in size before eventually sucking items in and spitting them out.
While we can’t say for certain how the item drops will relate to Fortnite‘s upcoming Season 5 launch and potential Wild West theme, there are plenty of theories including aliens, time travel, and the existence of a Fortnite multiverse. Looks like we’ll just have to wait and see what the rifts spawn next to have a better idea of what is coming.
- Dataminers Show Off All The Season Five Gear in Fortnite
- You Can Now Do Gyro Aiming in Fortnite on the Nintendo Switch
- Epic Games Releases Fortnite Season 5 with Patch Notes Details
- Now We're Seeing Fortnite Llamas Make Appearances in Europe
- Destiny 2’s Festival of the Lost Event Starts Tomorrow - October 15, 2018
- Hearthstone Confirms Balance Changes Rolling Out This Week - October 15, 2018
- Poznan Game Arena 2018 Reports a New Attendee Record - October 15, 2018
- First Details on Elite Dangerous: Beyond- Chapter Four Revealed - October 15, 2018
- Rockstar Devs Reportedly Working 100 Hour Weeks on Red Dead Redemption 2 - October 15, 2018