Boundaries is based on the real relationship between writer/director Shana Feste and her father. It may not be the healthiest of things to base a film on, but it clearly served as a form of therapy for Feste.
It also boasts quite an impressive cast including Bates Motel’s Vera Farmiga as Laura, a single mother driving her son Henry (A Monster Call’s Lewis MacDougall), and father, Jack (Christopher Plummer), across the country. Plummer spends the trip unloading a batch of weed he’s acquired. Some of his friends/customers include Back to the Future’s Christopher Lloyd, Easy Rider’s Peter Fonda, and Ant-Man and The Wasp’s Bobby Cannavale. Okay, well, the last one is technically less of a friend and more Laura’s ex-husband and Henry’s father.
It’s fun to watch Plummer, Lloyd, and Fonda play. You can tell they agreed to do the film just to reunite and hang out. Farmiga is a smidge neurotic (the role calls for it), and it can be grating. If you’ve got boundary issues of your own, this might hit a little too close to home for you.
However, the family dynamics in the film ring true. While it might not be a perfect film, there are moments that are truly enjoyable.
I sat down with Feste and Fonda to ask them about their film, the best road trip they’ve ever taken (how Fonda got away with it is a proper miracle), and their inspiration.
- The 24th Annual SAG Awards 2018 Winners' List
- Coen Brothers Directed First Super Bowl Ad In 15 Years, And It's An 'Easy Rider' Themed Spot For Mercedes
- Norman Reedus Got Peter Fonda Into Crossbows
- Chronicle's Alex Russell Joining Peter Fonda In Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Series, Galantyne
- ‘Alpha’ Exclusive Clip – Creating a Language - November 12, 2018
- ‘River Runs Red’ Taye Diggs, John Cusack Exclusive Clip - November 7, 2018
- ‘Death Race: Beyond Anarchy’ Exclusive Clip and Zach McGowan Interview - October 4, 2018
- Marvel’s ‘The Eternals’ Finds a Director in Chloe Zhao - September 21, 2018
- Jessica Gao Just Won an Emmy for Rick and Morty, Now She’s Developing Her Own Show - September 13, 2018