Apparently, today is the day to be a hamster enthusiast, as Overwatch have now released an intro trailer and gone more in-depth with a developer update. Below is Hammond’s complete story, which the developers loaded up, along with the two videos about him and more updates coming to the game. The character literally caught fire on social media, with people absolutely loving his design and also hating on it because it wasn’t what they wanted. You can’t please everyone, but the 28th hero has become one of the biggest topics online today, simply for the fact that we have a smart hamster in an armored rolling ball. Oh, and putting him on the PTR servers was a big help.
In one of the many experiments carried out at Horizon Lunar Colony, animals were given genetic therapy to assess their adaptation to extended periods of habitation on the moon. As an unexpected side effect, several of them exhibited exceptional growth in physical size and brain function. While most of the test subjects were gorillas or other primates, there were some exceptions, including a hamster named Hammond.
Like the others, Hammond’s intelligence grew, and he became more curious about the world around him. Much to the puzzlement and amusement of the scientists, Hammond would frequently escape into different parts of the moon base. Though they’d always find him and return him to his cell, they never figured out the true purpose behind his nightly escapades. What they didn’t know was that Hammond was busy teaching himself the skills of a mechanic, which would soon come in handy.
The colony was eventually thrown into chaos when some of the gorillas rose up against the human scientists and took control. Not all of the animals participated, however, and one of the gorillas, Winston, was making a plan to escape to earth. Hammond sensed his opportunity. He built a makeshift capsule and secretly hitched it to Winston’s craft as the gorilla blasted off. As the two entered earth’s atmosphere, Hammond broke off and landed in a different location: the wasteland of the Australian Outback.
Hammond modified his escape pod to enter the lucrative mech battle arena of the Scrapyard. Working his way up the ranks, “Wrecking Ball” went from contender to champion, though the pilot’s identity remained a mystery to all. Gathering his winnings, Hammond was able to upgrade his mech enough to survive the dangerous trek out of the Junker-controlled Outback.
Now free to travel and do as he pleases, Hammond is exploring the world and finding new adventures along the way.
- Wasteland 2: Director's Cut Will Hit Nintendo Switch in September
- Overwatch Fans Raised Over $12 Million for Breast Cancer Research Foundation
- Hammond Racing is the Latest Meme to Come to Overwatch
- Overwatch's Latest Hero is Already on the PTR for Testing
- Overwatch's Next Hero is... a Hamster?
- Sombra is Getting Unlimited Stealth and Translocator in Upcoming Overwatch Patch
- Blizzard Has Started Selling Tickets for the Overwatch World Cup
- Overwatch Receives a New Update with Endorsements and Symmetra Changes
- Review: Razer’s Blackwidow Elite Gaming Keyboard - December 15, 2018
- Cygames Announces Granblue Fantasy Versus for PS4 in 2019 - December 15, 2018
- Review: Marseille’s mCable HDMI Cords for Cinema and Gaming - December 15, 2018
- Review: Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse - December 15, 2018
- Ghost Stories For The Ages: We Review Betrayal Legacy - December 15, 2018