It’s been revealed during a Reddit AMA that the Assassin’s Creed franchise will lean into the female option, Kassandra, as canon for the series despite offering a playable male option in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.
Ubisoft is trying something a little different this year with Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. For the first time the game will let you select your gender, with you choosing between two characters you might want to play as at the state. This does certainly create some confusion though as it means the canonical story of the game is a little unclear. If in a future game Odyssey is referenced, which assassin would be considered the ‘right’ one?
Well, now we have some clarification. During a Reddit AMA (via PCGamesN), creative director Jonathan Dumont fielded a question about the canon and said the series will lead towards Kassandra being the in franchise assassin, although that it isn’t that important. When asked if the game’s accompanying novel, which features Kassandra, suggested she was ‘more canon’, Dumont replied:
Yes there will be a canon represented in the novel. It features Kassandra and her journey. But in the game you decide your path, there is no right or wrong way.
Now, let’s be clear here. He isn’t saying that one of the run-throughs in the game is ‘right’ and that the other is invalid. Merely he is suggesting the game franchise is leaning harder into Kassandra as the lead than Alexios. As he states, there is ‘no right or wrong way’. Still, it’s cool to see Ubisoft going towards Kassandra as she does seem like a neat character. At the same time, will any of this even matter? The other games aren’t referenced that much in recent titles in the series. I’m sure whatever character you pick and the choices you make won’t be too alienated down the line.
- Twitch Prime Members Can Receive DLC for Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
- Assassin's Creed: Odyssey's Latest Episode Takes to the Seas
- Ubisoft Unveils Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Behind the Odyssey Episode 2
- Destiny 2’s Next DLC Set to Launch December 4th - November 16, 2018
- THQ Nordic has 35 Unannounced Projects After Acquiring Two New Studios - November 14, 2018
- Overwatch League Team Chengdu Hunters Revealed - November 13, 2018
- Ark: Survival Evolved Hit All Time Peak Players On Steam This Weekend - November 13, 2018
- Despite Activision’s Comments, Destiny 2 Director Says Bungie Aren’t Disappointed With Forsaken - November 12, 2018