Shari Lapena’s bestselling thriller/debut novel The Couple Next Door is being developed as a television series, adapted by playwright/TV writer Lila Feinberg (Younger). Paramount Television, Anonymous Content and Sugar23 will produce the project, a domestic suspense series that follows three friendly couples living in the same Manhattan apartment building. After a dinner party results in a shocking crime, their lives become intwined in a twisty, rollercoaster ride of lies, betrayal, and the secrets between husbands and wives. Feinberg, Sugar23’s Head of Production Ashley Zalta and CEO Michael Sugar will also serve as executive producers on the project, Deadline Hollywood reports.
First published in July 2016 by Pamela Dorman Books (a division of PenguinRandomHouse), here’s the official overview of Lapena’s debut novel The Couple Next Door:
Anne and Marco Conti seem to have it all–a loving relationship, a wonderful home, and their beautiful baby, Cora. But one night when they are at a dinner party next door, a terrible crime is committed. Suspicion immediately focuses on the parents. But the truth is a much more complicated story.
Inside the curtained house, an unsettling account of what actually happened unfolds. Detective Rasbach knows that the panicked couple is hiding something. Both Anne and Marco soon discover that the other is keeping secrets, secrets they’ve kept for years.
What follows is the nerve-racking unraveling of a family–a chilling tale of deception, duplicity, and unfaithfulness that will keep you breathless until the final shocking twist.
In addition to The Couple Next Door, Feinberg has a number of projects in various stages of development; including Pulse (based on her semi-autobiographical play Vertebrae). The deal between Anonymous and Paramount TV has resulted in numerous projects, including: Netflix’s 13 Reasons Why and the upcoming Maniac; Hulu’s Catch-22; Epix’s Berlin Station; TNT’s The Alienist; and Apple’s Hilde Lysiak mystery drama.
- Smallville’s Sam Witwer Joins Supergirl Season 4 as Agent Liberty - July 17, 2018
- Tales from The Loop: Amazon Studios Greenlights Sci-Fi Fantasy Series Based on Simon Stålenhag Art - July 17, 2018
- Win a Chance to Cook Up a Batch with Breaking Bad’s Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul – For a Great Cause - July 17, 2018
- ‘The Politician’: Ryan Murphy Casts 4 More for Ben Platt/Gwyneth Paltrow Netflix Series - July 16, 2018
- Sean Penn Series ‘The First’ Gets Launch Date, First-Look Images from Hulu - July 16, 2018