Shari Lapena’s bestselling thriller/debut novel The Couple Next Door is being developed as a television series, adapted by playwright/TV writer Lila Feinberg (Younger). Paramount Television, Anonymous Content and Sugar23 will produce the project, a domestic suspense series that follows three friendly couples living in the same Manhattan apartment building. After a dinner party results in a shocking crime, their lives become intwined in a twisty, rollercoaster ride of lies, betrayal, and the secrets between husbands and wives. Feinberg, Sugar23’s Head of Production Ashley Zalta and CEO Michael Sugar will also serve as executive producers on the project, Deadline Hollywood reports.
First published in July 2016 by Pamela Dorman Books (a division of PenguinRandomHouse), here’s the official overview of Lapena’s debut novel The Couple Next Door:
Anne and Marco Conti seem to have it all–a loving relationship, a wonderful home, and their beautiful baby, Cora. But one night when they are at a dinner party next door, a terrible crime is committed. Suspicion immediately focuses on the parents. But the truth is a much more complicated story.
Inside the curtained house, an unsettling account of what actually happened unfolds. Detective Rasbach knows that the panicked couple is hiding something. Both Anne and Marco soon discover that the other is keeping secrets, secrets they’ve kept for years.
What follows is the nerve-racking unraveling of a family–a chilling tale of deception, duplicity, and unfaithfulness that will keep you breathless until the final shocking twist.
In addition to The Couple Next Door, Feinberg has a number of projects in various stages of development; including Pulse (based on her semi-autobiographical play Vertebrae). The deal between Anonymous and Paramount TV has resulted in numerous projects, including: Netflix’s 13 Reasons Why and the upcoming Maniac; Hulu’s Catch-22; Epix’s Berlin Station; TNT’s The Alienist; and Apple’s Hilde Lysiak mystery drama.
- Black Lightning Season 2 Premiere Summary: “Team Lightning” Faces Green Light Fallout - September 21, 2018
- Chris Evans to Star, EP Limited Series Thriller ‘Defending Jacob’ for Apple - September 21, 2018
- Stargirl: Nickelodeon’s Brec Bassinger to Lead DC Universe Series - September 20, 2018
- Watchmen: Nine Inch Nails’ Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross Scoring Damon Lindelof “Remix” Series - September 20, 2018
- ‘Ralph Breaks the Internet’ Trailer: Vanellope and Ralph Face Crossroads - September 20, 2018