In a statement that shouldn’t catch anyone by surprise, a former Sony Online Entertainment CEO says money is the reason crossplay isn’t happening. When the entire Fortnite controversy with PS4 players having to make new accounts on their Nintendo Switch broke out, people were pissed off and yet unsurprised by Sony’s decision not to participate. But at the same time, people wanted an official reason why. Which prompted John Smedley, a former CEO of Sony Online Entertainment, to reply to Kinda Funny‘s Greg Miller on Twitter about the subject in this now deleted tweet from June 18th.
btw when I was at Sony, the stated reason internally for this was money. They didn’t like someone buying something on an Xbox and it being used on a Playstation. simple as that. dumb reason, but there it is.
Sony sent out an official statement to the BBC on the issue, but it doesn’t take away from the stinging reality that Smedley laid out. What kind of sucks on the entire matter is that Sony fails to recognize the potential of crossplay for people who only own a PS4. As someone who owns a copy of Overwatch on PS4, I would rather enjoy having matches with people who own the same game on PC and Xbox One than have an audience limited by a console. Or have the ability to play my account on another system if one is going through an update or has a downed server. But that’s clearly an argument for another day.
- Shikhondo: Soul Eater Gets a New Gameplay Trailer for PS4
- Pearl Abyss Announces Black Desert Online Coming to Xbox One
- Fortnite Will Be Coming to Android Devices Later This Summer
- Crazy Justice Shows Footage of Cross-Platforming Between Xbox and Switch
- Blockchain Gaming, while the Current Fad, is Fated for Failure
- Fortnite is Now Available on iOS for Everyone
- Latest Legends of Aria Shows Off How You Create Your Home - November 12, 2018
- Snoop Dogg Hypes the Spyro Reignited Trilogy in Latest Video - November 12, 2018
- Rob Dyer Joins Capcom as the Company’s New COO - November 12, 2018
- Galactic Civilizations III Receives a New Update with Fresh DLC - November 12, 2018
- Treyarch Releases the Nuketown Trailer for Black Ops 4 - November 12, 2018