As the market for live television continues to heat up, AXS TV will expand its pro wrestling offerings through a new deal with Women of Wrestling (WOW). AXS will begin recording live WOW events for broadcast in 2019, and the deal reported by THR will also include WOW’s current self-titled digital show. WOW will join New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) and AXS TV Fights. Originally founded in 2000 by GLOW founder David McLane and owned by LA Lakers owner Jeanie Buss, WOW’s TV offerings are produced by Mark Burnett and MGM Studios. WOW’s concept is similar in spirit to that of GLOW, the 1980s wrestling promotion which you may be familiar with from the eponymous fictionalized Netflix TV show about it.
AXS TV CEO Mark Cuban said:
I knew of Jeanie’s passion for elevating women’s wrestling for several years, so when Mark Burnett told me what MGM Studios has planned for WOW, I decided to get involved. AXS TV’s long-term success inside the squared circle and broadcasting New Japan Pro Wrestling makes airing WOW a natural fit.
While Buss said:
Fortunately, I grew up knowing that the key to building a winner starts with teamwork. I’m so thankful that Mark Burnett and his MGM Studios, and now Mark Cuban’s AXS TV, are all part of our WOW team. AXS TV will provide a valuable platform to boost audience awareness of our WOW Superheroes, help grow our digital ecosystem and provide the best in women’s wrestling to the millions of fans who want to see powerful, confident women do battle in the ring.
Though WWE’s ratings may be on a two-decade downslide, there’s no question that pro wrestling in general is on the rise. You can find out more about WOW’s roster at their website.
- New Japan Pro Wrestling Releases Their Own Mobile Game
- Do You Miss WWE's Attitude Era? You Should Watch NJPW [Opinion]
- Let's Talk About GLOW Season 2 Episode 1, "Viking Funeral"
- Another Year of Rick and Morty Presents One-Shots on the Way from Oni Press - December 10, 2018
- Best-Selling Author Gaby Dunn Makes Comics Debut with Claire Roe in Bury the Lede OGN - December 10, 2018
- Greg Goldstein Out at IDW as Chris Ryall Returns as President, Publisher, and CCO - December 10, 2018
- Next Week’s Miles Morales: Spider-Man #1 Starts Off with a Really Bad Idea - December 10, 2018
- Silver Surfer Suffers From the Donald Duck Effect in Next Week’s The Best Defense - December 10, 2018