The next chapter in the Valve/Apple drama over an app continues as it has been revealed that Valve sent the company a new version of their Steam Link app this past week for approval. We also may have a pretty clear idea as to why the app was rejected in the first place. After having the app rejected once by the company and publicly calling them out about it, Touch Arcade managed to get the scoop about the second version submitted to the company and compared notes from the first one. After giving the app a run in their “Test Flight” mode that the public can access, the major difference is that it no longer goes to the Steam store.
When you click to buy a game, it now says “Available for purchase from your PC”, which is a huge difference and makes much more sense while Apple rejected it in the first place. Essentially, Valve was trying to avoid playing 30% of their profits to Apple by having people go directly to their store. Apple, of course, isn’t letting a company make money off them without a cut, so this whole debacle now makes sense. However, now that there’s no link to the store, that issue has been removed, essentially putting Apple in the position to either reject it out of spite or let it through now that there’s no money to be made directly from the app. It’ll be interesting to see how this all comes about int he next week or so.
- Valve is Selling Their Library for $15 on Steam Until July 5th
- Steam Now Tells You How Much You've Spent On Games
- Valve Shuts Down Steam Trading Options in The Netherlands
- Valve Issues a Statement on Content Allowed in the Steam Store
- True Grit's Hailee Steinfeld Joins Apple's Emily Dickinson Comedy Series
- Valve Removes the Active Shooter Game and Publisher from Steam
- Apple Responds to Valve About Their Steam Link App Being Rejected
- Apple Has Rejected the Steam Link App for iOS
- Cliff Bleszinski Announces He’s Done With Video Games - November 18, 2018
- Valve Has Already Added a Beta Update to Artifact - November 18, 2018
- Three Nukes Crashed the Fallout 76 Server in Spectacular Fashion - November 18, 2018
- Hi-Rez Studios Lays Out Details For Crossplay on Multiple Games - November 18, 2018
- Frostpunk to Receive an Endless Mode Update Shortly - November 18, 2018